Does the dialog level setting have an effect on all DSP modes (Yamaha RX-779) ?

jeffreedom

Novice Member
Reaction score
I max out the dialog level setting on the receiver when watching TV and movies becuase I have trouble understanding the voices clearly. However, I dont want that setting to affect music when I am listening thru Airplay or if I have the 7 or 2 channel stereo DSP settings on. The setting stay on no matter what source or DSP program I choose but I can't tell for sure if its actually affecting the sound on music modes. Sometimes it seems like it might be, other times not. Any ideas?

If the centre speaker is engaged then yes, the output being portrayed by that speaker is effected by thr dialogue level setting. If you were on the other hand portraying stereo content via just the left and the right front speakers then no, the setting would have no effect.

If you cannot tell the difference then why would it matter?

If the centre speaker is engaged then yes, the output being portrayed by that speaker is effected by thr dialogue level setting. If you were on the other hand portraying stereo content via just the left and the right front speakers then no, the setting would have no effect.

If you cannot tell the difference then why would it matter?
Thanks, I wish that setting would change based on the input mode or DSP. I can sometimes hear the difference but it seemed like other times it wasn't having any effect, perhaps it was just the type of music or maybe I was in 2 channel modes sometimes. It seems like it should only effect video modes and not music modes, even 7 channel stereo.

Did you run the YPAO in Flat mode or Natural mode? I think Flat helps the dialogue sound a bit clearer.
I'll give that a try. I sometimes have it set to a custom eq setup I created but I was never convinced I could improve it over the flat settings.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom