• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Question Does the budget always creap up as you consider options???

rob hellfire

Novice Member
Hi,

I'm currently in the market for a new tv ideally ~48", probable usage being streamed tv (either locally or through netflix and the like) along with some gaming (not owned a separate TV Since buying a house so it's all been pc monitor)...

Having spent 4-5 evenings browsing through reviews and had 2 trips out to local Electronics stores armed with a USB containing some 720, 1080p and 4k content for testing I'm not closer to making a decision than a week ago when I started.

I have however managed to raise my expectation in spending from <£400 to ~£600 (I guess this is normal? :p)

Could anyone shed light on my current possibles listed below with deal making/breaking details if possible, strangely some of the sets I viewed in stores have little to no reviews online...

LG UF850V *Viewed at Currys £649
Seen user reviews which were less than impressive but I really liked it in store and viewing of the media I took along with me gave (in my lack of experience) amazing viewing.

Samsung UE48JU6400 £647 best price I've seen ****Current favorite****
Seen some really good reviews and feedback from purchasers
Slightly confused by the different Series available from Samsungs, like the similar priced 48JU6445?

LG 49UF695V £559
Not seen any info on this tv, besides sales pitches unless I'm going nuts.

Panasonic Viera TX-48CX400B £489
Cautious of manufacturer having read some models are rebadged, also read some really bad user reviews on this forum (i think)

Sony Bravia KDL50W80 £599 ish
1080p, again there's a lot of suffixes to this product code which I couldn't decipher

I'm open to other suggestions if anyone would be willing to throw in a reply, I'm concerned about buying a 1080p screen when it's looking like 4k is going to spread in the next 12 months but I'm also wondering if I should put off buying till after xmas? I don't know when manufacturers would release the 2016 models, again any feedback appreciated :)

Hopefully going to a local John Lewis later today so can get some more hands on exp. :)

Sorry for such a long post and if there's any info that I should have mentioned, oops :)

Many thanks
Rob

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
I have however managed to raise my expectation in spending from <£400 to ~£600 (I guess this is normal? :p)

Many thanks
Rob

It's completely normal. It doesn't help that when you post on a forum saying I've got a budget of £500, someone will post with much better options at £700, then it keeps going! :)

Stevie1969

You could throw the Panasonic 50cx680 into the mix as well.
Seems to get really good reviews, and for £699 in John Lewis looks a bit
of a bargain at the mo :smashin:

rob hellfire

Novice Member
I might live to reget my indecision...

The John lewis near me had a Sony KD49X8305CBU 'returned' clearance item dropped to 599, which they explained still keeps it's 5yr guarantee and return policy.. My phone died and I couldn't check anything about it so come home to have a look and they won't reserve it so would have to go tomorrow night and hope it's still there :S

Old Bones

Having spent 4-5 evenings browsing through reviews and had 2 trips out to local Electronics stores armed with a USB containing some 720, 1080p and 4k content for testing I'm not closer to making a decision than a week ago when I started.

Dont worry, its not unusual.

Since I sell TV's (at least some of the time), I can see it from the other point of view. Its really useful doing a bit of research, and hopefully narrowing the choice down (size is the best place to start). However, there is lots of information, and lots of opinion, out there, and possibly too much choice.

And there is so much choice that its often difficult to pick out what you really want. And ultimately, its a really personal choice, and all anyone in store can do is give you the options, and what you get for your money. Hopefully, given the information I get from a customer, I can then give a couple of possibilites, so they can pick the one they like.

As for why the budget goes up? Simply, I suspect that until you see a TV, your not sure whats what. The £400 Panasonic sounded fine, and then you saw it. So then the Samsung, etc became a much better idea!

Looking at the list, you've got 4 UHD and a single Full HD TV, all at a uniform size, which is a big plus (so many customers dont' know the size they want, and thats the biggest hurdle). A decent 4K set should be as good on HD as a mid-level HD set (or close), so the Sony W8 (and its a great set) can be dropped, although I'd pop in the Sony X83 4K to replace it. And if you saw a good deal, thats great.

The Panasonic c400 is not so great, so goodbye to that.

The Samsung JU6400 is a decent entry 4K set. Its PQI is 900. The JU6445 seems to be Curry's exclusive, with a PQI of 1000, which is the same as the 6410 (yeah, its confusing to all of us...)

LG UF695V - Decent entry (or slightly above). Well priced. However, the JL9100 is also an LG, but has a better panel and newer OS that the 695, but for about the same money.

LG UF860 - High level 4K, although I've only seen it in 55in. Are LG at the top of the 4K tree? In OLED, doing very well, but I'm not sure its quite the one I'd pick if I had all the money in the world. But at £649, thats a very good deal. I suspect that Currys have an exclusive in that size.

Sony X83 - whatever people are saying about the OS (and it seems to be getting sorted out now), the picture tends to get the thumbs up from everyone. At £799 is bit more pricey than the others, but certainly above entry level (but if its at £599, thats a very good price). The Panasonic CX680 in a 50in is the other contender - again, above entry, and a nice backlit screen - £699 is a good price.

Best bang for buck on spec (panel) - the LG UF860. OK, so only 3 HDMI's, when 4 is ideal, but the price point is what it is. However, do you like it?

Sony or Panasonic - good safe choices. If the 860 wasn't around, the JL9100 would be another great value set.

Your always paying for the best blacks and refresh you can, and in 4K sets thats even more important, because of the upscaling from HD. get the best you can, that you really like.

They are all decent picks, and its up to your eyes to pick out whats right for you. That x83 is a good deal, and I suspect you would be happy with it. Good luck, and let us know what you got and what its like.

rob hellfire

Novice Member
Old Bones, that's one hell of a reply I can't thank you enough.

I certainly see the asking people for my opinion thing in my question, I work in retail and constantly get it. But you've crossed off a few from my list, and changed one slightly :p

Think I'm gonna try bribe my boss tomorrow so I can go and grab the Sony X83 on a deal, I've read more on the software update and looks like they got their s**t together. Also it's John Lewis so if not it's not a problem.

If I miss that one (or it turns out to be faulty) I'm still undecided on what to get... well fingers crossed, now to see how long I hold off buying some form of sound system >.>

Old Bones

I certainly see the asking people for my opinion thing in my question, I work in retail and constantly get it.

I dont mind being asked questions at all - in fact I get paid for it! Its fine asking what the best three picks are within a price, etc - it just makes life easier for the customer, otherwise its just a mass of possibilities. If you've done your research and know what your looking for, great, you don't need me, and thats fine.

My real worry is always the people who refuse to ask anything at all, on the grounds they think your going to sell them something that second. The man (and its usually a man) will wander around the department with his wife trailing behind, looking at all the TV's, no matter what the size (unless they are buying 5 TV's, looking at all the sizes is always a worry), and possibly reading some of the info next to them. He has no idea of what he's looking for, but is unwilling to admit it. Hopefully his wife will get fed up enough to actually ask someone, and then we can help. There is also son-in-law/brother-in-law/mate syndrome, where often utterly incorrect factoids are reeled off as gospel, or (almost as bad), where someone brings along their friend, who you have to communicate through. I want to know what the customers requirements are, not his friends.

Sound systems - actually a bit simpler. Decent TV soundbar - about £100 for 60-120w, with wired sub, and bluetooth, digital optical in. About £170 the wattage starts to go up, to say 250w, and you might get a wirelss sub (really popular with lady customers!), plus HDMI connections. having said tha, LG do a cracking 320w 2.1 sound bar for about £180 with wireless sub, but no HDMI (but you can link it wirelessly with LG TV's really easily). About £249 will get you the full monty. And over £400 you looking at 400w, and then about £600 your into Sonos, etc. All the TV brands now do wireless muti-room speakers. Of course if you've got an amp, etc, there are loads of ways to carry on using it.

Always worth looking at what comes up in New year sales - prices will be good, and clearance stuff tends to get saved up for then. Might get a good deal on a soundbar.

markanali

Standard Member
I might live to reget my indecision...

The John lewis near me had a Sony KD49X8305CBU 'returned' clearance item dropped to 599, which they explained still keeps it's 5yr guarantee and return policy.. My phone died and I couldn't check anything about it so come home to have a look and they won't reserve it so would have to go tomorrow night and hope it's still there :S

I bought the 49x8305 at £700 in the black friday sales, and I'm very happy with that decision. £600 is a great price, I would jump at that. I wouldn't buy at the current JL price of £800, as I would bet that it will be back down to £700 in the sales after Christmas.

rob hellfire

Novice Member
Well asked my boss nicely and he let me go for opening :D

TV now sat in my car, so I'll be hooking up tonight and looking for some testing videos to check if there's any panel faults then delve into connections and such :D

It's like Christmas come early...

Thanks again for input from people that replied and again old bones on the feedback about sound systems, think i'll be reading about these till after Christmas when I can try justify spending more money on myself >.<

Merry Christmas :p

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom