1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the box I want even exist?!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by carefactornil, Jun 6, 2005.

1. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Hope you can bear with this long post - I'm not totally sure which forum this should go under so please feel free to suggest an alternate arena.

I'm about to buy a complete home cinema system. I've got a fairly good idea of what TV to go for (Pioneer's 505XDE plasma) but I'm having issues trying to work out what else to get, so that I don't end up with too many or largely redundant "boxes".

I really like the idea of CD jukeboxes. I have ripped a lot of my CDs on to my laptop, and love even the basic software that came with my MP3 player. One of the things I really want from the new system is to put all my CDs in one place - i.e. some form of HDD. I don't own a full PC or want to - I don't want to wait for it to boot up to play music. Therefore some form of HDD system seems appropriate - I've got something like 300 CDs and want them all on one system with a bit of room to expand if possible.

At the high end of the scale you have Bose's Lifestyle systems. Soundwise I don't mind these (I'm not the fussiest person about audio, unlike video!) but I appreciate the comments people have made about Bose on this forum, in that you don't have the advantage of separates and they are very expensive for what they are. The actual software that 'learns' your musical taste and the way you can browse and create playlists appeals a lot though.

The only other things like this I've seen are the Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (about £600). I haven't seen any mention of this on this forum - anyone got one?
    Of course there are the IPods and equivalents but I'm not sure I can fit everything on these and whether they're designed to work with Home Cinema Systems.

Are there any other such systems out there?

To make matters even more complex, what I'd REALLY like is a TRUE "all in 1 system" :cool: i.e. a HDD device that could also be used for recording images onto like a DVD-HDD recorder. I'd like to be able to record TV and also store all my digital photos (so that these can be viewed through the TV). I also want something that will play DVDs. As far as I know the DVD-HDD recorders can't be used to store CD's and photos too - am I right? With HDD drives getting cheaper all the time I'm surprised there aren't any true "complete" systems that do everything - or are there?

Or am I going to have to get several boxes?! :suicide:

Thanks in advance!