1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the bad weather affect anyones veiwing ?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by redwing, Jul 22, 2004.

1. redwing

redwing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    The last few weeks my sky is playing havok sky+ going off everyday no satalite signal recived .

I know this must happen to everyone at some point . Used to only happen to me when it thundered but last few weeks have been unbarable .

Does anyone else have this trouble or do you use some sort of booster for the signal ? Certain channels filmfour ,sky movies seem to have nearly gone all the time

sorry if its rubbish question just didnt know anywhere where some fellow digital viewers may be able to answer .

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    If you are losing signal in clear weather then you have a technical fault with the hardware, it could be the tuner, the cable, the LNB or a combination of these factors.
    If only certain channels are going missing then you need to find out what they have in common, this will help you identify the cause.

Lyngsat has a list of the channels and which transponders they are carried on including the tuning specs.

As for bad weather since the signal travels through the air it can be masked/blocked by weather although it has to be said a well installed system in the UK should be able to handle everything but the most extreme downpour or snow storm.

Stormy weather certainly had an affect today, the biggest lightning bolts and thunder claps shook the bloody house, I switched everything off:)

3. redwing

redwing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    LOL Thank you very much Starburst.

Although I must say in clear weather it all comes back fine but as soon as it gets gloomy out . Bit of heavy cloud it starts twitching , Then sometimes just turns the whole thing off if theres a heavy downpore .

4. mps

mps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Check the signal quality on both.If below half way mark then the dish or lnb needs adjusting.

Regards.

5. redwing

redwing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    yes both are below half way . I actually think i may have an answer as it happened last summer as well .

I know this sounds funny but theres a big dam tree (not mine)and i think when it gets leaves in the summer it cuts my signal down to half so already a losing battle then the bad weather sort of finishes it GRRR lol

thanks for your help guys :suicide:

6. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Not funny at all - line of sight (LOS) is very important and anything that interferes with that will impair the signal.

Have you got a chainsaw...? ;) :D

7. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    We used to have exactly the same problem, not just the leaves but the sap rising in the branches during the spring/summer - we would have a borderline signal which would disappear in the rain. In the end we had to move the dish...

8. DTS Rocks !

DTS Rocks !

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lesson: Pardon my ignorance,but i'm sure someone said that a DIGITAL signal would NOT be affected by things like that tree.The old SKY used to have loads of problems like this with the ANALOGUE signal,but when SKY were promoting this new DIGITAL setup a few years back i could have sworn they said it would not be affected,as the Digital signal could be read any way.Was i dreaming that bit ? ? ?

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Well there is the truth and then the PR spin:)

The delivery of a signal from the satellite to the dish is the same regardless of content of the signal, analogue or digital. So anything that gets between the satellite and dish will have an effect on the resulting reception be it rain/snow clouds, buildings/trees or even little birdies sitting on the LNB.
    I guess with analogue when reception dropped off you would get sparklies and they would increase until the picture was unwatchable, with digital there is inbuilt error correction which compensates for lost data but only upto a certain threshold. So you get a solid picture free from interference for longer with digital BUT at a certain point the data is too fragmented/corrupted and you lose everything.

10. redwing

redwing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    just wanted to say thanks for all the replies .

now wheres that spare lightning bolt i had grr :D