Does the 360 record from media centre

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by chezabha, Mar 10, 2006.

1. chezabha

chezabha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Looking to buy an Xbox 360 and network to my PC via wireless. I want to do away with Sky + but would like to confirm if the remote for the 360 controls the PVR functions on the Media centre. The guy in Currys gave me a vacant look today!

Also I have seen a few people saying it needs to be Media centreedition 2005. Mine is not 2005, will this be affected??

Any help would be great.

2. OldAndSenile

OldAndSenile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I have MCE 2005, and I can record live Sky TV from my 360 onto the Media PC.

As far as I'm aware, the 360 isn't compatible with MCE 2004, but I don't know to what extent.

3. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    The media centre on the xbox 360 is basically the PC version shown on the xbox instead of the PC, just think of it like being logged on as another user.
    The media remote controls all the functions, changing channels, guide, recording etc and it also controls the tv basic functions.
    I am using MCE which is just basically XP pro with a media centre added on.

4. chezabha

chezabha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys.

So just to re-cap. I have an HP media centre upstairs which is connected to a sky box. If I buy a 360 and rig it up to my LCD downstairs I will be able to use all the functions on the media centre upstairs.
    Sorry to ask again, but the wife will be less than pleased if I spend another £300+ on an x-box and cancel the sky +. :suicide: :eek: :nono:

5. drevil2nd

drevil2nd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    yes you will have pvr thats only able to record 1 channel at a time, and has an unreliable ir blaster for changing channels. At least on my box.

Its ok, the s-video connection really lets down the picture though 16:9 programs become jerky.

6. chezabha

chezabha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to be using the xbox to link up to a JVC LT37DS6FJ. This will be a wireless connection. Will I get a good quality picture? I stream to my laptop at present and it seems to cut out somewhat. Do you think I will get the same problem with the xbox?

I'm not sure if I would be better off buying a stand alone streaming digital media centre?

7. michaelT1888

michaelT1888
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You NEED MCE 2005, any older versions dont work.

8. ALANH16

ALANH16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my Media Center PC on a 54 mb wireless connection to my broadband router, to which my 360 is wired directly. Never had any problems with it cutting out (unless someones using the Microwave of course :D )