Does the 360 have to work harder to output in HD?

rowedav

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As above - this has been bothering me for a while now.

I'm still to buy a HDTV but obviously want one for my 360, but does the 360 have to 'work' harder in outputting in HD?

If it's a stupid question, feel free to shoot me down.:rolleyes:

nope. Every game (apart from a few) are rendered at a HD resolution anyway, regardless of what screen you have it connected to. So if you are playing on a SDTV, the 360 downscales the HD image to 576i (or 480i, I dunno if it uses the proper PAL resolution). If your on a HDTV, the 360 just leaves the HD signal as it is.

thats how I understand it anyway

Yep i suppose you could say that it actually has to work harder with a SD TV as it has to use it's scalier chip to lower the resolution.. not that it's hard down scaling..

..remember the 360 has a dedicated scaler chip - so it has zero overhead on performance.

As above - this has been bothering me for a while now.

I'm still to buy a HDTV but obviously want one for my 360, but does the 360 have to 'work' harder in outputting in HD

Basically - It was designed to do HD from the start.

In the same was as "does my type R work harder doing 0-60 in 8 seconds rather than 14 seconds, well, yes, it does work harder, but it was designed to, that's why you bought it :)

The 360 works much harder when playing HD-DVD's and HD WMV data, quite possibly more CPU intensive than many games. This is because it's trying to recreate about 25mb of audio&video from 1-4mb of data, per second, using some fancy maths.

You worried it's going to put your leccy bills up by running in HD :rotfl:

In the same was as "does my type R work harder doing 0-60 in 8 seconds rather than 14 seconds, well, yes, it does work harder, but it was designed to, that's why you bought it :)

I hope your type r is quicker than 8 secs, mine sure is :rotfl: :rotfl:

well it should be OK...........mine outputs at 720p for a few hours then it needs a rest as it gets a bit tired........lololol

it will be fine matey, as peeps have said thats what it's supposed to do out of the box !

get it sorted !!!!

Pile

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom