1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the 36" Philip have these features?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Jon Weaver, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    1. Picture in Picture (or split screen of any kind)

I see that it has Split Picture/Text, but can you watch 2 channels?

2. The ability to assign a channel number to an AV input?

So I can assign channels 1-5 as RF inputs, channel 6 as AV1, Channel 7 as AV2 etc

Any info appreciated
    Jon

2. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It has split screen teletext/tv but no picture in picture (at least I don't think so, I haven't fully explored the manual yet).

3. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Why not download the manual from the Philips website, should give you all the answers.

4. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    1. Unfortunately no, only the 9767 (european version) has two tuners which allows this

2. Also a no, you must stick to the Philips assignments... EXT1,2,3,4 and FRONT... why would you want to do this anyway?

5. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Regarding question 2.. The reason for doing this is to make it Wife friendly.

At them moment I have channels 1-5 used for Terrestrial.. Channel 6 for Sky and 7 for VCR.

I don't want Sky and my VCR connected via RF, so I use SCART (AV)... Its much easier to press '7' to get VCR, as opposed to AV a number of times until it cycles round to the correct AV channel.

I know that switching a device on will signal pin 8 and auto switch, but there are times where this doesn't work.

Its a shame that only a few manufacturers adobt this. Whilst a lot of people might not use this feature, there are some (like me) who do...

Thanks for the answers.. Shame about the lack of Split Screen/Picture-In-Picture though.

6. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You cannot select external inputs with the numeric keys, but you can scroll down to and through them with the program up/down keys. You can also (re)name them like the regular channels, and deselect the inputs you are not using in the favourite programs list. It is not too bad.

Actually the one thing in Philips sets that I guess would upset a wife, is the slow and jerky animated expansion/collapse of the menu pane between submenus.

7. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I get it now! I must say that the 9617 I have has never failed to autoswitch when I wanted to play something back... as for Sky, the TV selects that when you switch it on as it is the only RGB input on when I turn on the TV... all the terrestrial channels are on digital anyway... the only time you would want to watch these is if you were recording from Sky. So as Zacabeb said it's not bad at all.

8. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Its good news that you can rename the inputs.. Atleast that will make it less confusing.

The other advantage with assigning inputs to buttons is to make Macro creation easier with my Pronto Remote.

With the Panasonic I used to have, there was never a known state, so you could never make a Macro which would select AV2.

When you pressed the AV button, it would always start at the last selected input, so there was no way to get to AV3 remotly.

With regards to the Menus, I must admit that I was surprised how slow they were.. I had a little play and found them really frustrating...

But atleast they are transparant (unlike the Sony which are almost full screen and solid), and don't get in the way too much.

9. Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Jon

I know officially there is nosplit screen picture and picture function, but in the service menu, there appears to be some options to do with split screen (not just picture and text). However I haven't quite got it to work yet.

Can anyone else shed any light on the split screen option from the service menu?

Cheers - Mojo

10. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think the service menu is the same accross many models so although the option is present, activating it will do nothing on sets without the feature:(

11. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The split screen feature requires additional processors, video A/D converters and audio processors that are not present in the non-PIP sets. Theoretically it could have been possible to retrofit a set with these parts, though Philips do not support upgrading. It is kind of silly considering how modular the electronics are. I think they would be relatively easy to upgrade.

12. Adrian

Adrian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. teletext spli only.

2. not sure about channel allocation

Adrian

13. Pyara

Pyara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the above set for about 18 months now and can confirm that although it has split text/picture it doesn't actually have split picture/picture so to speak.

Furthermore, you can rename the 'AV' channels which is a good idea, I've got mine labelled as, 'Sky' & 'DVD'. Very useful for the wife!!!