Does Teesside have too many takeaways? Numbers have SOARED

Makes me wonder though , they never seem very busy to be honest ....

they seem to be in most high streets as with bookies and charity shops...

andthe sad thing is - they mainly (well, in the north east at least) cater for the drunkard and the quality is dire, you'd never go there sober... :(

We have LOADS of them in Redcar but there are only a couple that are decent.

I did hear from an environmental health officer that "a lot" of the takeaways are run as a family debt. One family member registers the business, runs up loads of debt then goes bust and another one starts the process again. It might be complete b******** but may explain why the takeaways change name regularly

I live local to a huge Kurdish community . I also have a few friends who own restaurants etc

This is what I have learnt .

1. Most of them are "laundrettes" The selling of food is not in anyway their main income .

2. Many will set up and lease a load of expensive equipment etc . Have work done and then "disappear " they swap over the equipment with friends and not pay for work done etc . Then another company takes over and they move on as if nothing has happened . It will just be another brother who has the lease etc . Hire companies never get to see their stuff again .

3. Many silly people borrow money off the "wrong " people to set up these places and end up going bust and still owing hundreds of thousands That "Will be paid" . They are almost forced to take a loan and set up etc .
One things for sure . Those debts get paid I know of 2 brothers that have been told to settle a £200k debt left by their other brother who has "done a runner "
They have no clue how to pay it . But they know it must be paid .

Let's face it. Once they've got here what else are they going to do?

I doubt this 'Family debt' idea is as prevelant as being suggested..

The businesses leasing out equipment are not idiots - they will require histories and financial checks, personal guarantees. They have banks that have

After all, who in their right mind would continually and constantly lose equipment and money?

I would say that people are making a genuine attempt to launch a succesful business - but the food business is a lot harder than it seems from the outside.

A lot more people see it as normal to eat every meal from outside rather than cook at home, than in the past.

I know that was very common in the building industry. Set up a business, buy a lot of materials/services, take some money, 'go bust, a few weeks later the wife has mysteriously started a new building company.

I thin kthat also happened with some furniture stores in years gone by - and the new owner would buy up all the old stock for a quid of something...and again the new owner was normally a mate / family member...

I doubt this 'Family debt' idea is as prevelant as being suggested..

The businesses leasing out equipment are not idiots - they will require histories and financial checks, personal guarantees. They have banks that have

After all, who in their right mind would continually and constantly lose equipment and money?

I would say that people are making a genuine attempt to launch a succesful business - but the food business is a lot harder than it seems from the outside.

A lot more people see it as normal to eat every meal from outside rather than cook at home, than in the past.
So no bank fraud
Or mortgage fraud
Or credit fraud

Of course it happens !!!
You really believe checks are 100% done ?
People can easily create a false credit history etc .

A large top of the range coffee machine could cost £6k
Add a few top range cooler units and ovens etc and you have a lot of money . All that equipment gets passed over to someone else . So cannot be traced . Some units have security devices that can shut down a unit of it is not serviced . Most of these scammers know what is fitted and how to bypass them etc .

Then we have credit/debit card skimming in the restaurants . Wifi been hacked to see anything of interest . Rates and rent not been paid . Suppliers not been paid .

It goes on a lot !

I know that was very common in the building industry. Set up a business, buy a lot of materials/services, take some money, 'go bust, a few weeks later the wife has mysteriously started a new building company.
and the wife could be based in Monaco

This happens a lot in the big Asian communities in the Midlands. I've personally known a number of people who run your typical fried chicken/kebab house as front for their other ventures. Similar to how they buy up housing portfolios, 4 brothers all chipping in to clear a mortgage in 12months etc.

"
This happens a lot in the big Asian communities in the Midlands. I've personally known a number of people who run your typical fried chicken/kebab house as front for their other ventures. Similar to how they buy up housing portfolios, 4 brothers all chipping in to clear a mortgage in 12months etc.
Drugs are what many would call their main "business" . I can sit in a place with pen and paper and in 10 mins work out the rough running costs . Then work out the average daily turn over . Most could never even pay the rates . Let alone other bills etc

Thats why I never use cards in high street restaurants etc or petrol stations . I also never ever use free wifi . And from personal experience and a little research I would strongly advise everyone to never use wifi in a group of cheap hotels that have a name than sound rather like a place a traveller might stay .

There are many ways business's and staff can make money .

Last edited:
Is that what Greggs is doing in Newcastle then.
I've never seen a place rammed with so many in my life and cant wait to go back and see if another 30 have opened since my last visit :p

and the wife could be based in Monaco
All my wives are based in Monaco. I just live in Scotland for the weather.

Slightly off topic, but in Glasgow there is/was a chippy that sells a deep fried doner kebab, with a side of chips (obviously). It was so bad for you (4000+ calories if I recall) but also so popular, that the council made people sign a register for it so they couldn't buy more than 2 a week...

Watford is "Rammed" with takeaway shops as well. But me and MrsD have noticed that there are lots of men's barber shops all over the town now as well. Just find it strange that these shops are popping up all of a sudden.

Watford is "Rammed" with takeaway shops as well. But me and MrsD have noticed that there are lots of men's barber shops all over the town now as well. Just find it strange that these shops are popping up all of a sudden.

Check what the local colleges teach....Our local is hairdressing & looking under a bonnet so the town is full of hairdressers and hairdressing....

Amazing how in poorer areas there is a huge increase in small businesses that have a large cash turnover

We have places near us and I doubt they even officially make enough to pay the rent let alone rates and stock etc

And they all drive nice cars

Amazing how in poorer areas there is a huge increase in small businesses that have a large cash turnover

We have places near us and I doubt they even officially make enough to pay the rent let alone rates and stock etc

And they all drive nice cars
I have long thought about the drug connection .....

But me and MrsD have noticed that there are lots of men's barber shops all over the town now as well. Just find it strange that these shops are popping up all of a sudden.
hipster tw*ts?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom