Does "surround sound" add any value to Freeview?

cunnidc

Standard Member
Wasn't sure where to post this! I spend most of my time in the AIO thread so here goes....

I currently rely on the speakers in my TV. For an LCD TV (Toshiba WLT68) the speakers aren't bad, but I'd like better. The only thing holding me back from buying a 5.1 (or even 2.1) AIO is the fact that most of my viewing is Freeview.

When the systems on this thread are compared, its usually in terms of sound from DVD playback. Great, I play DVDs too, but what about Freeview (and yes I know its not broadcast in 5.1!)?

In this repect, are there any features I should look out for when considering systems (apart from an Optical In connection for my Topfield PVR)?

:lease:

TheBlueBrazil

Wasn't sure where to post this! I spend most of my time in the AIO thread so here goes....

I currently rely on the speakers in my TV. For an LCD TV (Toshiba WLT68) the speakers aren't bad, but I'd like better. The only thing holding me back from buying a 5.1 (or even 2.1) AIO is the fact that most of my viewing is Freeview.

When the systems on this thread are compared, its usually in terms of sound from DVD playback. Great, I play DVDs too, but what about Freeview (and yes I know its not broadcast in 5.1!)?

In this repect, are there any features I should look out for when considering systems (apart from an Optical In connection for my Topfield PVR)?

:lease:

Go for it. A lot of broadcasts on Freeview will be Dolby Pro Logic so you will get the benefit of that as well as a much better stereo sound.

I've got the Panasonic SC-PT 550 (as it has an optical input for my Sky HD box). Also has HDMI.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom