• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Does SkyHD HDMI issue affect Panny PX60 TV

T

tobytronic

I have read with some concern the hdmi issue and get the idea this issue relates to Pioneer models for the most part. With this in mind has anyone had a problem with the Panasonic 42PX60??

Also, if it does and i have to wait to use hdmi (for a fix, etc) how much worse is the picture using component?

Thanks in advance.

G

Gadgetnutter

I have to say that the above statement is by no means conclusive, as my Pioneer 506 XDE had been connected for 2 months with no problems..and there are a few reports of users with the same TV experiencing the problem.

I have now switched to component until a fix is determined.

Bottom line...Until is is verified where the problem actually is.....There would appear to be an element of risk using Sky HD via HDMI!

Incidentally, it has been reported that the HDMI problems have affected other TVs as well as Pioneers...just not apparently with the same frequency!

G

Gadgetnutter

Fine..except that Sky are *still* not recommending that Pioneer users change to component.

loz

Distinguished Member
No one has reported the issue with a PX60.
There have been a couple of isolated HDMI/HDCP related incidences with 2 or 3 other Panasonic displays, but it is not clear it is even the same problem as that experienced by a very few Pioneer owners (where the HDMI capability is permanently cripled). It looks more like coincidence where some problem occured whilst the user just happened to be watching Sky HD.

Sky, Panasonic, nor any other manafacturer have not given any advice to users not to use HDMI. Given they must all be aware of the Pioneer situation, I would take that as there isn't a problem.

M

msmuir

loz said:
Sky, Panasonic, nor any other manafacturer have not given any advice to users not to use HDMI. Given they must all be aware of the Pioneer situation, I would take that as there isn't a problem.

Along with others, I have queried the situation with Panasonic Customer Services and we all seem to have had replies similar to mine: "There is no issue with connecting the Plasma screen via HDMI."

This was regarding the PX600, however it is very similar to the PX60. If anyone has any doubts, why not ask Panasonic directly ?

Malcolm

chaparral

Prominent Member
Gadgetnutter said:
Fine..except that Sky are *still* not recommending that Pioneer users change to component.

Sky are recommending pioneer users to use component and are offering a free component cable..

Sky issues official response to issues between its HD receiver and Pioneer plasma in this link below.
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=8792

PlanetZog

Standard Member
Hi, posted this under other threads, but may be of interest here.

I have not been able to use HDMI with my JVC LT-37DS6B since installation (engineer tried 2 HD boxes) and I reported the problem to JVC Customer Services who acknowledged there was a known problem and that they were working with Sky to resolve it.

JVC called me last week to advise that Sky will be dowloading a SW update in mid August which should resolved the problem. So fingers crossed the HDMI problem will be resolved so I can reconnect my DVD using Component again...:)

PlanetZog

Standard Member
Further to my previous post, I have just spoken to a realy helpful guy in Sky Customer Services called Scott (a rarity I know) who has confirmed that an update is scheduled mid to late August (although he could not confirm any dates or what the new version would be).

He advised that although there would be no formal notification of the update, he advised the best thing to do would be to keep an eye on the model number and once it has changed from 605270A, it should be OK to use the HDMI cable for the JVC. Whether this fix will resolve the Panny and Pionneer problem I guess will remain to be seen.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom