Does Sky require a phone connection?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by willsy2, Nov 7, 2005.

1. willsy2

willsy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I know there are a few threads on Sky+ requiring a phone line, but does a normal Sky installation need it? A mate of mine wants Sky but his phone point is on the other side of the room and he doesn't want a cable stapled round the skirting on his new house - or do they normally do a good job of hiding it if they need to put an extension in?

2. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,105
    As far as I know, you need to have a phone connection for the first 12 months.

One thing you can guarantee is that, unless things have changed since they installed mine a few years ago (doubtful), they will make no attempt to hide any cables.

Cheers,

Martin.

3. Heinz

Heinz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    If you take the 'free box, dish and installation' offer from Sky, you sign a contract to say you will leave the box connected to a working telephone line for 12 months (and the installer will make sure it is when he leaves).

The thing is, they don't often bother checking so you are fairly safe disconnecting as soon as the engineer leaves.

I'd suggest you run a cheap entension cable under the carpet before the big day and then ...........

4. Alun

Alun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    The only time sky check up (to my knowledge) is if you try the 'multiroom package for a different house' trick. friend of mine tried this and got endless calls from sky asking why his boxes werent connected.
    Myself, I have sky + and its never been connected except for the initial set up.
    slipped the engineer a picture of the queen and he installed a second box in another room for me. Never been called askin about it.

5. derekn

derekn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I bought my sky+ from an independent installer just to avoid having to connect to a phone line. I've never had a phone call from sky about it, but I do get a message on screen occasionally telling me that a phone connection would be a benefit. I suspect that the last time this happened it may have interfered with two recordings I was making as they both failed, a right b*mm*r :mad: .

Cheers,

6. Sid and Coke

Sid and Coke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have Sky+ and multiroom. My Sky+ box has always had a phone line connected as there is a phone wall socket behing the TV so i saw no reason not to connect it.
    My second Sky box was fitted into an upstairs bedroom with no phone line. When the engineer installed the box he had to run a phone cable to the box as part of the initial setting up. I then removed the phone line ( as it was just loosely routed through my entire houe from downstairs to upstairs).
    A few weeks after installation I got a letter off Sky informing me that they'd checked my box and it wasn't connected to a phone line. I duly phoned them up to explain that the cable 'had been damaged' and i needed to install a new one. The guy said no probs on the phone and informeed me that i'd got a good few weeks to fix it. I then got second letter off them informing me that i had 4 weeks to comply with the contract to have my 2nd Sky box connected to a phone line or risk a financial penalty or loss of service (IIRC so don't quote me but it was something like that).
    I've since installed the 2nd phone line. I figured that i could hardly demand compensation for my lack of Sky+ functionality and their lack of keeping to their deal , if i don't do the same....

7. A5tra_G

A5tra_G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Had same problem as Sid, found out though that your sky box phones home once a month, so all I've done now is to leave it disconnected but once a month run an ext to it then tell it to phone out, job done.

8. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Do you need to leave multiroom connected after the initial 12 months?

9. MORANIO

MORANIO
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am getting the normal Sky digital in this week and i was told you dont need to have telephone connected to get Sky. I do live in Dublin so i dont know whether this is just in Ireland or not. I rang Sky up and asked them,they said they've scrapped the must have telephone connection clause,and that if i paid a fee of what i think was 36 euro,i would not need a phone line. But this would leave any other promotion like the 3 months free Sky sports and movies invalid,as they say you can not use the no telephone fee "promotion" with any other promotion.

I'm still waiting for them to connect as there is a waiting time of a few weeks,they're supposed to be coming to connect up tomorrow. Hopefully!! Theres only so many Dvds you can watch!!!

10. Heinz

Heinz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yes. It's a condition of the reduced subscription for the other room(s).

And Sky DO check on those (to stop the other room being in Spain) and take full subscription money if you don't comply.

I think you get 2 warning letters before they do so.

11. bitofatit

bitofatit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Just a thought - you can buy a "phone exension" that plugs into you electricity mains socket rather than needing to install a new telephone socket and have wires trailing around the room. I did this as my telephone socket is in a different room from the telly. The kit cost about £50 and has a base station to go into the telephone jack and what looks like an eletric plug to slip into the electric socket near your telly - works a treat.

12. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,105
    Could you post a link to that please?

Cheers,

Martin.

13. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    I'm probably missing something but other than the hassle of having an extra phone socket near the Sky box why what's the issue in having it connected to the phone line then?

14. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Shame, my other room's got wheels on it!

15. rocketron204

rocketron204

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    This is a true story.
    when I Had Sky + fitted and had the other digibox installed in the other room about a month or so later I had a letter from Sky telling me I needed to connect the other box to the phone line.
    I checked and the box was still connected so I rang Sky and told them, they then said that they could not connect to the box, I told them that this wasn't my problem as the contract stated that the box had to be connected to the phone line (I had checked that the phone line was working OK) and if the modem had failed I wasn't braking my contract.
    They told me that they would send an engineer round for £65 to fix my box or they would charge the full package price for the other box, I told them that this wouldn't happen because I wasn't breaking my contract.
    To cut a long story short I ended up talking to someone in their contracts department who eventually agreed with me and I got an "engineer" free of charge who rewired the phone extension that the first "enginneer" fitted for free.

Sometimes reading the small print does work!

16. Dollydoodah

Dollydoodah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Very interested in this idea, any chance of a link, please? :lease:

17. austinjreid

austinjreid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: