1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does size really matter?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by shadowritten, Sep 17, 2005.

?
  1. Yes, in fact the smaller/bigger, the better!

82.9%
  2. No, I don't care if it's the size of a truck/thumb nail!

17.1%
  1. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, a cheap trick with the thread title to lure you all in, but a serious point, I think.

When you chose your DAP (or perhaps you're still choosing), did you care about its physical dimensions? Forget all the features, whistles and bells: did size REALLY matter to you?

I know for some that it doesn't, which genuinely baffles me. Personally, I'd say size does matter. The three players most impressive to me for their size are/were: the HD5, the Gmini XS202 and the iPod Mini (though I wish this last one had had a bigger HDD).

Any thoughts?

2. dissembled

dissembled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually the most important factor in helping me to decide to get an HD5 was its sound quality. Portability came...pretty much last.

Now that I have it though, I realized that portability is a significant factor. You'll need it to be small so it'll go everywhere you go without buying extra accessories to deem it portable.

3. Beethovenian

Beethovenian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If gapless playback was not such a scarce thing, size would be the most important factor for me. I always thought having 20GB in a player almost as small as an iPod mini was a big advantage in Sony's players. It baffles me they're going for a bigger player now without even raising the capacity.

4. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hmm, interesting question and not one I'm sure I personally can answer Yes or No to.

I travel a lot and long before DAP's existed I yearned for a portable player of any sort that would liberate me from the standard CD player and the rucksack full of CD's it was neccessary to tote around to keep it fed with what my mood wanted to listen to.

I got really excited when Pine promised a CD MP3 player http://e-katalog.com.ua/jpg/6411.jpg but it was so long in the gestation period that other devices leapforgged it and I bought a NAPA instead http://www.fragtopia.com/reviews/NapaMP3/napa.jpg which even played MPEG and DivX video, and this was 5 years or so ago! Unfortunately the battery was both unique and complete crap and although I did manage to procure a spare it was a frustrating device to live with.

I supplanted the NAPA about 3 years ago with my first proper DAP the Archos Jukebox Recorder 20 http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~fool/misc/images/archos_jbrec_20.jpg which, it has be admitted, was a beast but it's virtues far outweighed it's physical size, if you'll excuse the unintentional pun. Even at it's inception it was a brick amongst it's peers but the killer feature for me was the fact it ran on standard AA rechargeables which could be changed in an instant against which size was a total irrelevance. Also it used a standard laptop HD which was dead easy to change and when the warranty ran out mine grew from it's initial 20gb to 80gb. Last but not least, although MusicMatch was supplied with it, it was actually pure Drag-n-Drop with Explorer so armed with a USB lead you could transfer to or from it to any PC at will.

There was a certain kudos attached to it as well because with the upsurge in poularity of DAP's the Archos was an anachronism but it marked you out as someone who had been, and was, serious about their music and not just a member of the me too iPod phenomena. I actually enjoyed getting it out on a plane and having an inner chuckle at the yuppie (can I still use that word?) across the aisle with his/her Baaa Baaa Pod.

I would still be totally happy with the Archos had it not recently met an unfortunate and untimely end when it fell out of the pocket of the jacket I was carrying and with impeccable timing and accuracy I managed to dropkick it about 10 yards across the concourse at Edinburgh airport which is where the HD5 came in.

So, getting back to the question then, I guess my ultimate answer has to be NO, size doesn't matter to me, it's a consideration certainly but not top of my list.

5. Pyrobob83

Pyrobob83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ditto. :thumbsup:

6. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Size is definately important, I recon it was the best selling point of the HD5 apart from the deceptive battery figure. If the Ipod was perfect in everyway then I wouldn't mind its larger size and weight. Take the nano for example, Its almost only advantage over the mini is its size, thats why people are crazy about it. IMO the HD5 is still smaller for its capacity, stack up 5 nanos on top of each other to get 20 gig and its bigger than the HD5.
    The zen touch is HUGE and that definately put me off. The features of the HD5 definately helped my decision, gapless, sound, looks....etc....

7. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't imagine lugging round a player that doesn't slip effortlessly into my jeans' pockets. I had a 20GB Zen Touch previously, and while this did fit into a pocket, it wasn't exactly effortless to remove when I wanted to change a player setting or select a new track.

And I think physical size also adds to weight, which is equally as important IMO. Well built though it was, the Touch weighed the same as a small car (by comparison to other players), making it unnecessarily bulky for me in every respect.

This is what disappoints me about the new NW-A3000 - and why I started this thread. Surely making a model larger and weightier than your previous ones (and a little bulkier than the market-leading iPod) is an ill-advised commercial move?

8. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well you know they say size doesn't matter as it is not the size of the ship that counts but the motion of the ocean? Ehrm... No-oh! What happens if the ocean has too much motion and the ship is too small? - you might just be forgiven for thinking that there ever was a ship at all...

9. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Er ... quite :D

10. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, well. Never seen a poll as clear-cut as this one before! Can I deduce that for most of us, size - larger or smaller, though I suspect smaller - really IS an issue?

Thanks to all who've voted so far!

11. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +867
    Hell yes, if i'm going to be using it everyday I need it to be pocketable, I don't want to notice I have it on me, nor to I want ungainly bulges in all the wrong places.

With my mobile I have a max weight limit of 100g, not sure what the max weight of a DAP I would consider to be acceptable, although I wouldn't have bought the 40GB or any of the old photo ipods.

12. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,231
    While SQ, navigation and UI rate higher for me....but I ain't gonna get it if its a brick and won't fit in my trouser pocket (not coat)

But these days, bar video players, most 20gb DAPs are acceptably small

13. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    What LFC SL said. If anything, the thickness of a player is what I consider the #1 advantage or handicap, in terms of how well they sit in my jacket pocket. Since both comparable iPods and HD5's have pretty much the same thickness, I've not really considered one any less portable than the other. The X5's within acceptable limits of pocketability, although the Rio Karma and the iRiver H320 went a bit over my preparedness to bulge. And I suppose the only way I'll be carrying the Creative jukebox 3 portably these days is as a novelty codpiece.

In terms of the mini players, the Mini was the most pocketable (and remarkably robust) followed by the iRiver H10. The Creative Zen Micro was fairly thick and had a rounded back which added to bulk but sat nicely in the hand.

14. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A la, Edmund Blackadder ... :D

Gotta agree with you here. Lovely player in the hand, a bit awkward in some pockets. And a felt pouch equally as crappy as the HD5's, too ...

15. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont think that the size of the DAP really matters, so long as it fits in my pocket, i dont like the nano, princippally because of its dimensions, its to thin and too long, therefore i would be worried about breaking it. I'm more concerned about weight than size, i held an iPod the other week (20gb 4th gen) and it seemed to be rather heavy, this might put me off buying a player. However the battery, sound quality and ease of use are the main proiorities for me

16. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63

I was using the 'bathtub' actually. Oddest case I've come across.

17. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry ... not with you?

18. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    You didn't get the hard case with the Micro?

19. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aaah, sorry - misread your meaning of the word 'case'! Yes, got a white plastic bathtub, as you put it, and agree it's damned weird. And not very attractive, either. What's with the designers at Creative? They produce some pretty credible DAPs (besides other products), yet they can't get the looks right.