1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does size matter!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by andrewf, Sep 1, 2005.

1. andrewf

andrewf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Simple question(s) - have a 32" CRT and am going to buy an LCD - choices down to the last 3/4.

Have been looking at 32" cause of the price. For those of you who have a 32" on the wall, does it seem smaller than a 32" CRT?

Even though it will be pushing the budget limit, should I be 'investing' in a 37"?

2. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,778
    I went out at the weekend and had a look at the LCD's in Curry's (actually hate the place but thats another story). I currently have an old 32" Phillips CRT which is pretty big and the screen is quite a away into the lounge.

I was shocked at how phycisally small the 32" LCDs were to be honest. This is good from a space saving perspective, but for me the screen will be about 2 feet further back from my current viewing position, therefore for me 32" is not really big enough for LCD

So, I have now decided that it needs to be either a 40" LCD or above or a DLP RP

3. daveon

daveon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    You have kind of answered a question for me from an earlier post about 32" or 37" lcds. I had never even considered the fact that you are actually further away from an lcd than a crt, excellent point well made, oh well looks like I need to find the extra £700 for the 37" LCD then.

4. andrewf

andrewf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    kind of what I've been thinking too, though worryingly it could take me another 4/5 months to save the extra to step up.

5. televisionuser

televisionuser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Depends on what you're using it for. If you want to watch films and have that cinematic feel, go for a screen as large as possible (37" or bigger). Whereas if you're just going to be watching TV, you may find it too big and tiresome for something very ordinary like watching morning TV or the news. Also you probably don't want something too big if you intend to play games as prolonged viewing on a very large screen again could get tiresome.

6. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,778
    Its not something you automatically think of, but it is definitely something that surprised me, as well as how small the whole unit was. I actually made sure a couple of them were 32" (Sony S32 and one other) as they looked tiny

Also, i guess it depends if you plan on wall mounting or not or buying a stand to put the LCD on, either way if you are switching from a CRT then i think many people will be surprised at the physical size.

I at least now know that i need at least 40", though i think anything from 40 to 46" would be right for my viewing distance, when taking screen position into account

I also looked at a Samsung 50" DLP, but that was too big :cool:

7. andrewf

andrewf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    thanks televisionuser

planning to watch TV, DVD and use for games so your comments do add something to think about.

8. andrewf

andrewf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    can anyone remember the recommended size screens v distance to the seating position? I've seen the list somewhere in the forum but cant recall where

9. televisionuser

televisionuser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  10. televisionuser

televisionuser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Also, another thing to bear in mind which you may already be aware of is the resolution. On the Samsung 32" (before I returned it) I found that the resolution of a high quality SDTV video of 640 x 480 was a bit too low for a screen of this size. Also, the 480p XBOX games didn't look so great, whereas on a 15" lcd they looked good. For a screen of 37" or larger I would be looking for something with a native res of 1080p although I think they're quite new and expensive.

11. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont forget though, the diagonal size of a 32" LCD screen is literally 32" from corner to corner. On a CRT, 32" often refers to the distance between the corners of the housing of the screen.

So therefore a 32" LCD has a larger viewing area than a 32" CRT.

Try measuring your CRT screen..

Ben

12. s3marc

s3marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    BenWong is right.

a 32 inch CRT is usually around 30.5 inches actual screen size , a 32 inch LCD is 32 inches.

so LCD is actually bigger than their CRT relatives.

13. thelawnet

thelawnet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    that's because they're flat! If you want it to be 2 feet closer, put it on a stand 2 feet closer to you :)

14. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,778
    agreed, yes i could put it on a stand 2 feet closer too me or even sit 2 foot closer to the TV if mounted it on the wall, however that sort of defeats the object in my case. I also realise the size thing as it is the same as CRT and LCD monitors and the figure quoted is the actual size viewable with LCD

I was merely stating my surprise at going to look at LCDs TVs for the first time seriously and not realising how small they look. I think many people who currently own a CRT don't consider this factor when thinking of purchasing (especially if they buy online without viewing)

15. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also don't forget, it's very easy to loose the sense of perspective when viewing these screens in a huge store like currys etc..

Many people are suprised at how big a screen actually is when it's delivered to their house because 'it didn't look that big at the store!' :smashin:

Ben

16. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    And then thankfully over the next few days the screen shrinks back again so is no longer the monsterous thing that totally dominates the room.

17. gareth78

gareth78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    it always seems incredibly difficult to judge the actually size when you have been looking at some massive 60 inch plasma moments earlier, i have a 28" CRT and whenever i look at those in the shops they seem tiny but mine looks quite a nice size in my small living room (thats until i get my 37" lcd in the next couple of months :) )

18. andrewf

andrewf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    cheers for all the links and help. plenty to muse on :)

19. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Er, no actually, it isn't. :nono:

If you read the specs, you'll see that some of them are 80cm, some (Tosh) are 81cm and the odd one (32LD7200) is 82cm. That's very nearly an inch difference, and 80cm is just a gnat's d*ck less than 31.5".

So there.

20. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    My toshiba 31" is 81cm.. it has 'Frame 3' technology :rolleyes:
    Sound slame but its exellent,the screen is huge and has exellent pq.Any larger than 32" screen for me is overkill IMO.