Does Size Matter for Surround Channels?

XelaYaj

Novice Member
Reaction score
I recently bought the Klipsch RP-402s surround speakers on Crutchfield due to a great sale price. However, I am not so sure that it was the best decision for fear that they won't be properly balanced with the more powerful 8000f towers and 504c center channel. On the other hand, the RP-502s surrounds have 5 1/4 woofers, the same as the 504c center channel. I have not set them up yet and I am still well within the return window.

Do you guys think the 502s would be a better match for my setup, or does size not matter as much with surround channels?

Welcome to the forum, @XelaYaj. 🙂
I think you should be fine, unless you set the volume at an ungodly level, at which point the other speakers might suffer too. 😉

Welcome to the forum, @XelaYaj. 🙂
I think you should be fine, unless you set the volume at an ungodly level, at which point the other speakers might suffer too. 😉

I think I am going to order the 502s from Crutchfield as well, and send them back if I can't tell the difference. My main concern is not so much the volume level but the sound stage itself.

If at all possible I don't see why not.
Just make sure they are at the same volume level when you compare them.
If not, the loudest will probably sound the best to you.

The calibration system on your AV amp will EQ any speakers into the system. Levels and crossovers should be matched to the first calibration point in the room. So volume should balance at that listening point. Doesn't really matter how big the speakers are. One advantage of having speakers from the same manufacturer and model range is that there will be a very good timbre match around the room.

Depending on the position and distance of the surrounds then certainly a smaller speaker may struggle but unless you're living in a barn I doubt that would prove a problem. It's surprising how little information can be passed to the surrounds in a lot of films and TV. It's only the really action packed films that deliver a heavy load on the surrounds, most times it's just ambient sounds that fill them.

I think I am going to order the 502s from Crutchfield as well, and send them back if I can't tell the difference. My main concern is not so much the volume level but the sound stage itself.

Do that as you are so lucky in US with the return costs being so small and the ability to test gear freely at home first! Example youthman tried the RP-502S and compared them to he`s larger Klipsch surround models and there was difference due to size. But he has dedicated cinema room, not sure if you have just living room setup with moderate levels being used.

Crutchfield has 399$/pair (402S) on sale, that is quite dramatic price drop from nearly 700$! 900$ for the 502S could be hard to swallow, but i have heard there is good dealers in US for Klipsch speakers that give you discount!

Do that as you are so lucky in US with the return costs being so small and the ability to test gear freely at home first! Example youthman tried the RP-502S and compared them to he`s larger Klipsch surround models and there was difference due to size. But he has dedicated cinema room, not sure if you have just living room setup with moderate levels being used.

Crutchfield has 399$/pair (402S) on sale, that is quite dramatic price drop from nearly 700$! 900$ for the 502S could be hard to swallow, but i have heard there is good dealers in US for Klipsch speakers that give you discount!

That is the sale I took advantage of. The reason why I'm on the fence about keeping them is because I made the mistake of pairing the 8000f towers with a 500c center channel due to a good sale price.

That is the sale I took advantage of. The reason why I'm on the fence about keeping them is because I made the mistake of pairing the 8000f towers with a 500c center channel due to a good sale price.

That would be definitely much bigger concern! 600C or 504C is the most ideal partner with the 8000F assuming one doesn´t have space issues. Center channel covering over 60% of soundtrack, being one of the most active speaker in your system..

As you got such good deal and the price difference is quite huge i would rather use the money to get the better center channel. Would make lot more sense!

The RP-402S shouldn`t be lacking as there is still decent size and the load is shared for two drivers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom