1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does size matter? 32" or 36"?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by oliver, Mar 31, 2003.

1. oliver

oliver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a small to medium sized lounge and am thinking about buying a widescreen TV to complement my DVD player and amplifier. I love watching DVDs with surround sound and the subwoofer turned up a little, and now it's time to to credit to Star Wars and see it in widescreen on a nice big television.

I've been talking to various people at Sony, Panasonic and Curry's and they all seem to agree that 32" would be enough and that 36" would look just too big and dominate the room.

What are your thoughts on the issue? Would 36" be too big?

Oliver.

2. lightningvictim

lightningvictim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have the KV36FS76 - upgraded from a 32" Sony Widescreen TV and initially the larger size was quite a shock. It definitely dominates the room but as we have no fire/fireplace it is the focal point and dominates our lounge which is about 4.5mx3m square. Size and weight wise 36" CRTs are monsters - it just comes down to what you want out of your set.

3. Ian Carter

Ian Carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There are ratios to how far from a screen you should sit (in feet) to how big the screen is. Basically you need to be able to view the whole width of the picture without having to turn your head, too big a screen, too close and it would be like watching a tennis match.

I'm sure if you did a search around the forums you'll find the info you need.

4. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to the Forums Oliver. Buying a widescreen TV was the reason that I first arrived at the Forums. I had good advice on that (see below) and on many other AV matters besides.

Our living room is 5m x 5m, with a high ceiling and a bay window. We have a 32 inch screen, which was a step up from 21 inch 4:3, and view it from about 2m - 3m away. It's noticeable but since it is on the opposite side of the room to the fireplace, we can turn seats so as to ignore it. So we use it more as a TV than a mini-cinema. IMuch depends, IMO, on what you want to use the room for.

I began by first considering a 28inch, as I was upgrading from a 21in 4:3, but soon went to 32. 36 seemed a size too far for a widescreen TV. Perhaps when I upgrade to a plasma in some years (but how few??!!) then I might go for 42.

IMO picture quality is where its at. And from what I gather, 36 is at the limits, with 32 inch sets being more proven - but I may have that wrong.

Good hunting

ditton

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a rough guide, it's best to sit between 2.5 to 3.5 times away from the screen as the screen is wide.

So, with a 36" TV (3ft screen) you would ideally sit between 7.5ft and 10.5ft away.

At the end of the day it's down to personal preference and the space constraints of your viewing room. I personally sit about 11ft away from my 36" CRT TV.

6. oliver

oliver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...and I'm glad you all replied to my post so quickly.

I think I've made up my mind. I'm still tempted by the 36" screens, but I will go for 32" because my lounge just isn't big enough to allow for the bigger TV. Once I move into a bigger place I might earmark one room and turn it into a mini-cinema - and that point I might go for a Plasma screen or projector system - but that's still a way off.

Thanks again for all your help, :)
    Oliver.

7. topmba

topmba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would go for the 36". It is only 4" bigger. The increase in bulk or depth is not significant. (Check how deeper it is, usually only 5cm). Do not worry about the weight. It is irrelevant.

It will allow you to watch 4:3 confortably as well as DVDs in 2.35:1. and other ratios higher than 1.78 (16:9).

8. oliver

oliver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are the extra 4" really so important? I'm not worried about the 36" TV being bigger, but that it'll look too big.

Also, you're saying "It will allow you to watch 4:3 confortably as well as DVDs in 2.35:1. and other ratios higher than 1.78 (18:9)."

Do 32" TVs not allow me to watch these? Or do they look too small on the 32" as opposed to the 36"? I thought the aspect ratios would be the same on both. :confused:

Oliver.

9. topmba

topmba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Aspect ratios are the same. However 4:3 can be uncomfortable on a 32" and umbearable on a 28". Many people S t r et c h, (as I did here).

Bulk - A 36" tosh picture frame is the size of most 32".

Visit a showroom and watch a tv (idtv channels best) from the same distance you would watch at home. See 4:3 such as SkyNews and 16:9 such as BBC News24. See how comfortable you are.

Think of your TV as a piece of furniture. People have pianos, chests of drawers, desks etc bulkier than TVs.

If 28, 32, 36 TVs where the same price, which would you buy?

Loewe make a 40" CRT.

Would you consider a car parked outside your house too bulky?.

A salesman with an average 5 32" models to 1 36" would be biased. If you stated you wanted plasma, which size would they advise?

Be driven by what size you want, rather than CRT technology limitations etc.:)

10. oliver

oliver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everything I've heard so far has helped me.

I do think that 36" will be too bulky and use up too much space, but before I go out and get a 32" TV, I'll check what you said about the 4:3 and 16:9 ratios. If I find that the 32" makes it too awkward to watch, but the 36" looks good, then I'll change my mind, of course.

Well, that's a result, as far as I'm concerned. Thank you all again. You've been a great help.
    :D

Oliver.

11. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Oliver , I have no problems in watching my FQ80 in 4:3 mode
    Point of note : a 32inch tube when watched in 4:3 is about the same size as 25inch 4:3 TV .
    I went from a 25inch Toshiba square (4:3) tv to a 32inch widescreen . However some people have gone from a 28inch 4:3 so a 32inch WS would seem smaller

Regarding the quality , the larger the tube the greater is the margin for error in tube Tolerances etc, Geometry can be a big problem with 36inch set's .

From the room dimentions you've given 32 is large enough

;)

12. DJM

DJM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I started in the same way as you when looking for a WS TV. Is a 28" widescreen suitable? well no 32" seems more sensible and physically not much bigger. Then I went into a number of shops and looked at the TVs.

Big mistake for my wallet. Immediately wanted a plasma, but just couldn't justify the price and possible pitfalls(Burn in etc). I realised I wanted teh biggetr screen but not the bulk of the TV. Saw the Tosh 36" picture frame and thought sorted! Big screen but TV really same sort of physical size as most 32". Probably should have stopped then, but found this forum and saw lots abought geometry problems with the Tosh, colour bleed etc. and couldn't think what to do. Finally ended up with a Sony 36FS76. Glad i did buy the bigger TV for 4:3 viewing.

But it is a big beast and definitely is a piece of furniture. We have it in a corner, so the bulk of the tube at the back is lost and reduces the impact on the room.

Sounds silly, but cut some cardboard out to fit around your current TV to approx the size of the WS 32" and WS 36" and this should give you some feel for the way it would look and how big it would be.