1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Sharp Still Make the Best LCDs?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by kmhtkmhtkmht, Jul 24, 2005.

1. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being in the market for a new LCD TV, I can afford but not justify to buy the Sharp Titanium Range 45 Inch GD1E - I just simply can't justify £4,500 Quid for something that won't hold it's value on a technology that's constantly improving!

I am stuck on what to buy, and am wondering whether the P50 Pal Optimised range is worth the wait?

Any Suggestions on LCDs? I watch videos on the PC most the time with the girlfriend watching Sky the rest of the time on our TV (very occasional DVD use) - what's a good suggestion?

And Does Sharp still make the BEST LCD Tvs?

2. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't buy that one, it's an older model already, just wait for the new series... lcd's are getting cheaper by the day, before we know it we'll be able to afford 42 inch lcd's :)

3. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it's debateable!! Make sure Jimsan doesn't see this thread otherwise he'll beat 5 colours of excrement through you for being so blasphomous towards the Philips 9986!!! :smashin:

The new Sharp range is, in my opinion a stepbackwards. Sure, it's optimised for SD Pal broadcasts, but will not look anywhere near as good as HD ready panels when fed HD sources. HD being the future of all things video, this seems like a marketing gimmick to wring every last £ out of the none the wiser everyday consumer. :mad:

I'd say if you want ultimate quality, have a look at the new Philips 9830 that's due any day now.. or like llanowar has suggested, wait for the newer Sharp range to be released.

There's also a lot going on in terms of Sony and Panasonic, with Sony due to release it's first batch of truly HD ready screens. Panasonic have released their first HD ready LCD range recently, and a lot of people rave about them on this forum.

I personally went for the Hitachi 32LD7200 which I'm over the moon with :thumbsup:

Ben

4. reklor

reklor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I spoke to sharp the other day.....they are releasing 2 new ranges....the 'p' series which is a basic model and is NOT hd ready and the GA6 series which IS HD ready. Personaly I think you would be silly to go for the P series with HD round the corner.......but for someone who wants it to watch nothing but sky the picture cant be beaten. The best bet is to wait for the 26/32/37GA6 panels.........they have resolutions of 1366/768 and have component and HDMI and are out in about 6 weeks!

Do sharp make the best LCD TVs?.....thats debateable......in my opinion they make by far the best looking sets money can buy.

5. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    By mid-end Sept. most new models from everyone will be on the market by then, and as it's the buying season, prices should be as competitive as ever.
    Sharp's TVs are held in high regard, but don't necessarily discount JVC, Samsung, Panasonic, and even Loewe (using Sharp panels and 30% owned by them) as also rans.
    Take your time to evaluate and then splurge, as it's a decision that's got to be the right one for the next 5 odd years.

I too would balk at throwing £4500 at a TV, but if viewed over the course of 5 years minmimum, then it's not a bad outlay. 45" panels will only go so low in price, IMO. There's a vested interest in manufacturers in keeping prices slightly artificially high.

6. reklor

reklor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    pjskel - Are you sure that loewe use sharp panels and are 30% owned by them?..........I thought philips made the loewe panels.

7. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Yes, pjskel is right. I don't know if it is 30% but it is certainly in that ball park. And yes, Loewe do use the Sharp ASV-black panels.

But as for the question, "does Sharp still make the BEST LCD Tvs"

Well the answer is no, it is physically impossible for them to since Loewe design and manufacturer the Sharp high end units so the best Sharp LCD TV's are actually made by someone else.

8. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I suppose there are almost two questions in this thread............

do Sharp manufacture the best LCD panels?

or

do Sharp manufacture the best LCD TV's?

9. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Home Cinema Choice website mentions new range of Sharp LCD's today
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=8234

Very frustrating - when are these manufacturers going to realise that there are millions in the UK who have either SKY digital or digital cable and thus we require/will require two digital (hdmi/dvi) inputs.

Instead manufacturers such as Sharp keep releasing new models with a freeview tuner and only one digital input! SKY digital alone has approx. 8 million subscribers - then there is the digital cable viewers on top of that.

Ideally we need one digital input for SKY Plus Plus and one for DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray

These manufacturers appear to be very short sighted.

Also there is still a diabolical lack of choice of top end LCD TV's (true 1920x1080p) within the UK - despite there already being a good choice of both LCD and DLP 1080p sets in the US....

I realise one can buy a switch box - but personally I think it silly to pay thousands for an hdtv set which has a freeview tuner that is not required and which will force you to pay another £200 or so for an external switch box.

Its looking much like the only serious LCD panels to hit the UK this year will be JVC's LT-40FH96 and the Sony Qualia 005

imho Manufacturers should give priority to including two digital inputs and make the freeview tuner an addin card/module which the consumers buys as a an added extra.

all imvho

10. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Regarding the HDMI issue Chambeaj, I think you should speak to Philips of all people before you start having a go at the rest of the manufacturers.
    The information I read from Philips explains how all equipment (Before the TV) should have a second HDMI socket so the equipment can be daisy chained.
    This is the spec that Philips made for the technology last year and it appears the screen manufacturers have listened to this and therefore only built in 1 HDMI socket. The DVD manufacturers on the other hand have not and have only built in one socket.

Who's to blame, Philips for not regulating the rules they set down regarding this technology?

IMHO Pull your head out of the sand and look at what Joe public wants, cheap Imported rubbish, and the top boys have to compete. People like Sony have lost over 1,000 staff, Sanyo 14,000 staff, Sharp 1,000 staff trying to compete with the import rubbish, and you say they should offer this and that, etc. WHY? To make more people redundant as long as it makes you happy?

Anyway, I think Sharp offer the best panel about, Sony make the best looking TV, but I think Philips or Samsung have the most complete package value for money.

11. getdownmonkeyma

getdownmonkeyma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  12. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Thats odd, they sound just like the Loewe Xelos 'A' series ;) ;) ;)

13. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, these manufacturers are being very long sighted; if they produce the perfect TV with all the sockets and inputs, very high resolution resolution, and superb reliability, their TV department would probably have to close down after a year or 2.

Ben

14. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with the other comments - screens should only have one HDMI input.

Firstly, how many HDMI inputs are necessary?

1 - for Sky HD?
    2 - with HD-DVD / Blu-Ray?
    3 - and a PS3 / other console?
    4 - PC via DVI/HDMI?
    5 - maybe even a dedicated scaler for other older devices?

So for quite a few people, even 3 HDMI inputs wouldn't be enough, so just how many should a manufacturer include?

Secondly, LCDs and pasmas are designed to be wall mountable, and as soon as you do, you don't want lots of leads trailing from the screen.

Connecting everything into the screen is an 'old school' hangover from the days when nobody had surround sound / AV amps. As soon as you do use a dedicated amp, the system is much simpler if it handles all audio and video switching, and is connected by one lead to the screen, which can be left on one input.

We are now starting to see such amps with 2 HDMI, component, SCART, etc, inputs with upscaling / upconversion to HDMI for around £400. If anything, I am disappointed that these new amps don't have more than 2 HDMI inputs - I would like to see at least 1 more input, and don't believe that it would add that significantly to the costs.

15. reklor

reklor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    braveknight - give it til next summer and you will probably have 4xhdmi in and 1 out.... denon/pioneer will be doing them for £300 ;)

16. baku

baku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    USA and Japanese models have 1 DVI and 1 HDMI and 2-3 component inputs, Wi-Fi LAN,VGA, while EU only have HDMI and scarts,VGA and 1 component. Not fair IMO, we should be offered a lower price for the sets but reality shows that it will be much more expensive for a "inferior" version.