1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Sagem have same probs as RD50?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by smashymike, Dec 7, 2004.

1. smashymike

smashymike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm confused. I've been watching the RD50 thread with interest but am wondering whether the Sagem (rebadged Optoma RD50, right?) owners have experienced similar problems with ntsc playback? Would seem likely or am i missing something here. Given that rumour has it of an hdmi/hdcp upgrade (free) for Sagem owners then is the only drawback between this and the purchase of an Optoma, if they ever sort out their problems, the use of a lesser specc'ed TI chip (hd2 as against hd2+). is there a 'big' difference between the two. Sagem owners seem satisfied with their purchase, Optoma owners less so. I may go Sagem, would i be wise??

2. watersa@ntlworl

watersa@ntlworl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a happy owner I'd only say yes of course :D

3. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Hi Smashymike...

The Sagem Axium is a rebadged Optoma RD50 as originally shipped in the USA with a few "european" tweeks e.g. SCART sockets, PAL support etc.. This model does use the HD2 DMD.

The RD50 as now sold in the UK is an entirely new beast, using HD2+ and has been optimised for PAL playback (which is what is causing the NTSC "judder" issue).

If you dont have any NTSC requirements for the set - then go with the Optoma, it is a technically superior set to the Axium.

Otherwise go for the Axium - or the Toshiba which is about £300 cheaper if you shop around!

4. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    As an AXIUM owner naturally I would swing towards buying the same. The TOSH is apparently a good telly, but I have had some disasterous encounters with TOSH tellies, so I was cautious and never went anywhere near them. I was also tempted by the LG set and the OTPOMA. A friend of mine has an OPTOMA and regrets the purchase. So after a lot of research and "COMET HOPPING", I was sold on the AXIUM.

I mentioned in another thread that I am that impressed with the AXIUM, that I am now getting rid of my projector. I never could handle that fan noise anyways!! :laugh:

MOSE

5. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I must admit that if i did not have the toshiba (best thing since sliced bread) i would have gone for the sagem as it is silver for one thing and not that ugly blacky grey or whatever it is!! Anyways the only thing that would have put me off is the lack of hdcp BUT if it is true that this is a free upgrade then by all means it is a smart purchase (americans had to pay so tells you something about optoma versus sagem support!!) and for all these people who say the optoma is that much better because of the specs my advice is go and look at a samsung dlp at currys and then go and look at the sagem at currys and you tell me if you can see a big difference (if you can good for you as i cant)
    PQ counts not specs!!!

6. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Only difference I could see was that Currys dont sell the Axium. At least not round this neck of the woods they dont.

7. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    But Comet/John Lewis do.

Alan

8. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    meant to say sagem at comet
    sorry

9. flexje

flexje

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also had my eyes on the Optoma at first. But now i allmost made the decission to
    go for the Sagem. I can buy that from a local hifi farmer here in holland don;t have to order or anything.

10. n_s_simpson

n_s_simpson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have spoken with Sagem Tech support today who tell me they are bringing out a new DLT in Jan 2005!!!!

They tell me it's going to be a big improvement.

The person I spoke to said they had one running in their office and it works so much better on the tests they ran.

Even better, it's going to cost the same as their old one!!! :)

I'm waiting til Jan (maybe Feb before stock is widely available)

11. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    A 'DLT', heh? That's a new one! :D

12. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Welsh113: don't forget that it is usually a HD demo in Comet on the Axium, compared to either RF or (if you're lucky) a DVD player in Currys.

That said, the Sagem is capable of a very good picture, from all reports. The ones I have seen have been excellent. It is just a cost issue now, in my opinion. With the Optoma on the market and new models due from Sagem in the New Year, the £2K price tag on the Sagem is too steep. Suspect it will drop again next year.

13. n_s_simpson

n_s_simpson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    sorry AV Junky, DLP. I was looking at some backup tapes on the web! Just being dyslexic! :)

14. dave68

dave68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got the number for me to call sagem in the UK? I am interested in the Axium but would like to get the low down on theri new set allegedly planned for Jan and also the issue fr HDTV from sky which frankly im baffled about as to whether or not the axium does / doesnt / will / wont support in future...

thanks

15. n_s_simpson

n_s_simpson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  16. Phil Harris

Phil Harris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sagem technical help line is 0870 2488227

17. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    dave68,

The new Sagem 45" model is ideal for Sky's 720p HD service as it features a DVI-HDCP input. :smashin:

Steve