Does room correction 'generally' work with the CD IN on AV Receivers?

SlimyRiddler

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Considering an older AV Receiver for it's room correction and bass managment.

I have a Topping E30 DAC and would want to go through that, would this work? Or does the room correction only work with HDMI Inputs? Sorry if that's a stupid question..

Cheers.

Attachments

• amp3.jpg
    amp3.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Room EQ correction will be engaged with all inputs and sources with the exception of SACD DSD encoded audio.

Nore that the room EQ correction wouldn't be engaged if using the AV receiver's PURE DIRECT mode. This mode bypasses the associated processing along with processing elating to BASS MANAGEMENT and VIDEO processing.

Depends on the AVR. Some allow you to select which sources it’s applied to :)

Why would you want to go through the Topping? Any room correction is likely to be in the digital domain so the analogue output from the DAC will be converted to digital, processed and convered back to analogue by the DAC in the receiver. What would the Topping give you over the digital output of the source except for an avoidable and arguably unnecessary D-A-D conversion?

Why would you want to go through the Topping? Any room correction is likely to be in the digital domain so the analogue output from the DAC will be converted to digital, processed and convered back to analogue by the DAC in the receiver. What would the Topping give you over the digital output of the source except for an avoidable and arguably unnecessary D-A-D conversion?

You're asking me a question when 'informing' me would have been more suitable.

Thanks for the info and this is definitely a huge factor if this is the case.... How would I know this!

Reading your message this does make very obvious sense now but never even crossed my mind.

OK more research to do....

So my understanding now is that in this situation the E30 would give me nothing but connectivity and 2 extra entirely unnecessary conversions. And with the Topping offering no more conectivity than most AVR's I see I need to be mindful of the DAC in any receiver if I was to use bass management or room correction.

Am I now on point Sir why?

Most AV receivers digise the incoming signal even if not engaging the room EQ correction. It isn't just the room EQ correction onboard the AV receiver and most of if not all the other processing stages are digital.

Most AV receivers digise the incoming signal even if not engaging the room EQ correction. It isn't just the room EQ correction onboard the AV receiver and most of if not all the other processing stages are digital.

Sir, SO, the jist is, external DAC and AVR somewhat waste of time!? I am using my Topping E30 with my Yamaha A-S701 at this time please tell me I am not still making a mess lol

I suggest that you wouldn't really be benefitting in the same way as if you would have had you been introducing the DAC inbetween a digital source and a more conventional 2 channel integrated amp. I doubt you'd get anything that improved upon the audible performance if using the DAC with an AV receiver. There are some AV receivers where the analogue inputs do bypass the ADC stage though, but they are the more expensive high end models eminating from some of the more niche manufacturers.

The Yamaha A-S701 is an analogie 2 channel stereo integrated amp. You should still be benefitting from any additional abilities associated with your DAC if using it with this amp. It would only be digital sources that would utilise the amp's own DAC.

Last edited:
There is no performance advantage whatsoever to going through a good external DAC like the Topping, only to then re-digitise the signal at the AV receiver inputs in order to apply room correction.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom