1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does removing speaker grills (grilles?) really make a difference?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by RL123, Jan 7, 2003.

1. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I read somewhere (think it was on one of these forums actually) that removing the front grill can add to the sound quality and make it seem much clearer. I've just tried it with a CD and tbh I noticed very little difference, if any. Does it make a difference or was it just a rumour I read?

Also does removing the grill have any negative effect on a speaker (I'm thinking about dust or dirt perhaps)? If it doesn't then I will keep them off because they look cool :p As long as it doesn't make them sound worse, I'm not losing out on anything.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    It does if you have young children as speakers do not perform at their optimum with lumps of food stuck on the drivers.

3. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or if your brand new Tannoy R2's nice little tweeters gets pushed in :mad:

4. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both very variable. Any grill will rub off some high frequencies.
    Without grills, silk dome tweeters in particular, can be susceptible to dust. However, the real dangers come from children with sharp pencils :eek: especially if they are called Sam.
    Sonically, there's no grill like no grill.

5. Inukjuak

Inukjuak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not many Benny, all that cloth it's got to restrict some of thoses frequencies, what about the speaker grills that have a plastic grill and cloth, :eek: all them soundwaves hitting the plastic grill and bouncing back on one another no wonder they produce "boom boom in the room". I took mine off the day I got them, noticed a real difference.

Dust is not a problem, bought one of those "magic dusters" of QVC, the one where the dust get pulled on to the duster like it was a magnet. They are soft and gentle on your tweeters and drivers as well. ;)

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Ruark Contemporary R range have curved plastic grilles with small holes like mesh. The design is supposed to add to the sound dispersion and create a more spacious effect. I must be cloth eared because I can't hear the difference but the grilles are rather sexy so they stay on.

Standard cloth ones I can imagine would have some effect and only negative. Lose them unless you fear damage.

S

7. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well after trying it for about an hour I think it has made a bit of a difference, particularly with my rear speakers (Eltax). They sound much clearer and even a bit louder. I've definitely noticed a difference now after trying some videos and DVDs with the grills taken off

I don't have to worry about kids poking at the tweeters or putting food in there so that's not a problem :)

I'm probably going to keep them off, definitely for the time being. I'll make sure to wipe them every few days to get rid of the dust as well.

8. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,
    You're quite right. Certain designs incorporate grills into the design and these are actually said to sound better with the grills on. However, this is few and far between and I've certainly never heard anything sounding better with grills left on.

9. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm using pretty cheap speakers at the moment. I have only just got into home cinema and bought my amp and equipment only a month ago. Everything is finished for now until I upgrade which won't be for a long time anyway (apart from a sub but IMHO I don't want/need one right now).

Having literally just finished setting everything up this afternoon, I'm impressed beyond words with what I have managed on a budget of under £1500 for my entire room. Once I get my digicam sorted I will be taking some pics so will post the url for you on here :)

I bought some new rear speakers and a Gale centre from RS, where I got my amp. I'm using some Aiwa floorstanding speakers for my fronts that my Dad gave me. Not ideal, but I am very happy with them with everything (movies, music, regular TV etc).

Anyway the point of my reply was that I'm using pretty average speakers (well, p*ss poor compared to what you would consider 'ok' :p)so i doubt they are supposed to sound better with the grill on, and like I said they do sound better without.

Thanks again guys. I just wanted to check if it was safe (or wise) to remove the grill.

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the Preludes from the Ruark range and I'm damned if I can hear any difference with the grilles removed. I agree though paiger, I also leave them attached because they give the speaker a classy and more individual appearance.

Must say however that I'm not too sure their method of attachment is particularly hi-tec... although, ironically, it was the very same thing that led me to notice my original pair were faulty!

11. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, it does seem a bit naff but it works well and when the grilles are off you don't get 4 ugly holes in the front of your cabs. Just an aesthetically pleasing groove down the sides.

By the way, check out my other post, I've just had a revelation with my Preludes and now I can see what all the fuss was about. All for a bit of foam.

Steve

12. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ahh... thank you Eric. When I have kids I will be sure not to call any of them "Sam" in order to protect my speakers. Any chance of a powerbuy on kids that aren't called "Sam"? :)

MuFu.

13. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Over Chistmas my girlfriend put a Christmas Card right infront of my center speaker just infront of the tweeter. I didnt think a peice of card would make any difference to the sound as it dispersed through the air but it did. Take the card away and I could hear a whole new level of detail. It seems high frequencies are mostly susceptible to this kind of filtering.
    So if your top end sounds a little harsh and youve got a load of old Christmas cards lying around, BINGO, why bother upgrading to a new THX processor when you can atchieve the same effect with DIY room Re-Equalization!

14. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A quality speaker will have acoustically transparent material over the front - unlike your Christmas card!

Tweeters are very directional - unlike sub woofers.

However the listening conditions in the room and many other factors will determine whether speakers sound good or bad with or without the fronts on...

Suck it and see!

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Matt F and I must be the rare ones as we both bought Pro speakers that don't come with grilles and have had to make our own. Matt bought too much fabric and sent the rest up to me as there was enough left over to do my three as well. Nice guy as well as discerning speaker buyer :)

As the owner of three year old Sam with the sharp pencil, there is no worse sight than to see him approaching several hundred pounds worth of centre speaker under the TV looking for something to stab. Luckily I have managed to persuade him that it's more fun to stab his mother instead.

16. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,448

I guess you told him to stab the one that makes the most noise during a film....

:D