Does reinstalling Windows after formatting wipe the firmware on Intel X25-M?

dts197

As title really. I've just formatted this ssd & reinstalled Windows 7. But it wasn't until afterwards I remembered that I had updated the firmware when I originally installed Windows. I'm not even sure now how to tell now.

Would just like to find out before I install all my programs again. Thanks.

dts197

When I came to reinstall, there was a 100mb partition which I didn't purposely create so hopefully that's it. I've searched the net without luck to try & find out. Everything seems fine though.

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
When I came to reinstall, there was a 100mb partition which I didn't purposely create so hopefully that's it. I've searched the net without luck to try & find out. Everything seems fine though.
I'm not completely familiar with SSDs at present, but is that partition used for the wear leveling? That said, the SSD would use a larger chunk for the wear leveling if I recall correctly.

Sounds more like one of those strange partitions Windows loves to create that you normally don't see, but they were always token sizes too.

What brand model is it?

Berties

Banned
Windows 7 creates a 100MB system partition. Flashing your drive will save it to a seperate BIOS chip. It may wipe your drive depends on make and revision of the firmware. I'd always flash your drive when you get it rather than install, then update.

dts197

It's an Intel X25-M. I did flash the drive and update the firmware when I first got it. But last night had to reinstall Windows. So I formatted it and then reinstalled Windows. I'm sure when I looked late last night the Intel SSD Toolbox said it was using trim which is what the update was for. But couldn't find anything that specifically said it had the newer firmware installed. It's running fine but thought it better to check in case I damage it.

getjpi

Standard Member
As title really. I've just formatted this ssd & reinstalled Windows 7. But it wasn't until afterwards I remembered that I had updated the firmware when I originally installed Windows. I'm not even sure now how to tell now.

Would just like to find out before I install all my programs again. Thanks.
No

Greg

Top Bottom