1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does ReClock improve picture quality

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by TheCrow, Feb 19, 2005.

1. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi Guys & Girls,

I am still in the process of finding the best software setup for my HTPC and I have been watching DVDs with and without ReClock.
    Beyond the obvious improvement in motion I have noticed that the actual picture quality of the image with ReClock appears better to my eyes which I was initially surprised by.

Am I being silly or does anyone else see any PQ improvements with ReClock?

Will using ReClock actually provide a more stable clock for the codec to work with and hence improve the picture by reducing the video equivalent of audio jitter?

My setup includes Windows MCE 2005, nVidia codec, ReClock, Powerstrip, nVidia 6600GT graphics going 1280x768 @ 50.000Hz via DVI into Pioneer 50MXE1 plasma watching PAL DVDs.
    I am getting perfectly smooth motion and pans, no noise or "mpeg artifacts", wonderful detail but I wish I could improve my black level as things fade into grey rather than pitch black. I guess that's a compromise I will have to live with.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Reclock will do nothing for PQ, as you rightly said it's job is to control framerate so if you've got smooth pans with no judder then you don't need it. The difference you perceive, if real, isn't due to Reclock.

3. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    KraGorn,

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression, I only get really smooth motion when using ReClock. It's OK without but definitely better with.

Regarding PQ I was looking for an explanation as to how ReClock could affect PQ. My thoughts were maybe because ReClock actually uses a high-resolution timer based on hardware on the motherboard instead of the default DirectShow reference clock synced to a hardware clock somewhere in the sound card to control playback speed that it is actually providing a better reference clock for the decoder in a similar way that more accurate clocks in audio DACs produce cleaner more detailed sound.

That is by providing a different playback clock ReClock is actually cleaning up the picture decoding process.

Alternatively keeping picture decoding in sync with screen refresh maybe reduces the amount of messing around the system has to do to keep picture in sync.

I freely admit this could be complete ******** that's why I would like to know if anyone else sees a PQ improvement.

Paul

4. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Simple, if you are not shown each film frame for the correct smooth amount of time or frames are skipped you are not seeing the whole picture.

That's my problem with the high-def clips at the moment. They'll play but are not properly deinterlaced nor as smooth as DVD's.
    i.e. Spatial detail might be higher for slow or still shots, but temporal detail is lower when they are not deinterlaced and played right.

regards,
    Rob.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Paul: it was your mention of black level that I was primarily addressing when I said it doesn't affect PQ.

Quite how it works I don't know (it's adjusting clocks but I don't know how), nor do I have no real idea of the theory here, what causes the judder when the refresh isn't a precise multiple of the framerate.

6. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    KraGorn,

I don't know if you have read the readme.rtf that comes with the 1.4 Release version (it's not in the latest alpha) but it makes very interesting reading. It explains what causes the problem and goes a long way to explain how ReClock works without actually giving the seceret away.

Well worth a read if you haven't already.

ReClock Homepage

Version 1.4

Paul

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think I read it a long time ago when I first started investigating it, at that time it probably made no sense so I ignored it. :)

Thanks for reminding me, I'll take another look.

BTW, I'm using 1.5beta10, not too sure why but I've seen a few postings on AVS indicating it works better than 1.4.