Does Rainbow Six 3 PAL work on a UK XBox set to NTSC???

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by talizker, Nov 9, 2003.

1. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Has anyone tried running a PAL Rainbow Six 3 on a UK Xbox that has been set to NTSC [in 480P or other]?

2. dj898

dj898

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume you have the mod chip?
    I've tried number of PAL titles on US Xbox as well as PAL Xbox converted into NTSC and they all works just fine.

dj898

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Works just fine. That's how mine is set :)

4. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    COOL!!! Thanks guy's. I know there are some games [Enter the Matrix, IndyCar Series and Midtown Madness 3 spring to mind] that won't boot with the XBox set to NTSC...

5. MRJAZZ

MRJAZZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rainbow Six3 is region-free game. US NTSC version works on PAL XBOX, and PAL version works on US XBOX. (Yes, without mod-chips)

Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Ghost Recon (including Island Thunder), and Rainbow Six 3 are all region-free, W-coded titles. :)

6. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I have a US NTSC XBox. If I buy the PAL version of R63 will it support Progressive Scan when played on my NTSC console?

Is there any reason I should get the NTSC version over the PAL version?

Thanks

Carl

7. dj898

dj898

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe if you want to play on XLIVE using your PAL Xbox?
    Was told you cannot use PAL Xbox set at NTSC on XLIVE regardless whether the mod chip is on or off...

don't quote me on this though as I could not verify it myself...

cheers

8. MRJAZZ

MRJAZZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The video output is decided by XBOX machine itself not the titles. Yes, unlike DVD video/film titles. :)

Basically, all the XBOX titles are the same regardless of their region - NTSC, PAL, and NTSC-J. Only the region code... when the titles go gold for actual DVD production are different. But as I said, some titles (usually UBi soft) doesn't have any region code aka W-code. (I think W stands for Worldwide...)

One of my sources tells me that PGR2 is in fact another W-coded title, but I'm not holding my breath until I actually test it myself. :)

9. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    ....so do you know why do some games [such as the PAL Enter The Matrix and Indycar] don't load when the machine is set to NTSC. It is totally annoying having to change back to PAL [and loose 480P] just to play an odd game????

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    XBox Live works just fine on a PAL XBox set to NTSC mode with the mod chip switched off. Thankfully :)

11. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Always interested to here about how to get the best possible picture when big screen gaming.
    Got my copy of R'bow Six this morning so if any of you lot get short of an easy shoot down put me on your friends list, gamer tag below.

Also got Top Spin which look excellent but feel a bit of practice is needed before going LIVE!

12. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So is RB6 3 deffinitely a non region game? Will US version work on a non modded UK xbox? I have read that this and gotham 2 weren't region free.

13. ggp159

ggp159

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So let me get this str8. If i buy PGR2 original US title set chipped xbox to NTSC mode, and boot it with the chip off will i be able to play on live and with 480p support as the game is an amercan original?

14. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Any idea if the US Xbox release of Prince Of Persia (Ubisoft) is W-coded? Be cool to get it now rather than wait for the European PS2 lockdown to expire.

Gunrock

15. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Rainbow Six Three is region free. If you play it on a US console you get progressive scan, if you play it on a UK console you get PAL60 option. [I've tried it on both my XBoxes]

Regarding the region switch most but not all games gve you the options for the region, so if you have a PAL Xbox set to NTSC- you will get the progressive options. I think PDO was one game that went wrong if you had the wrong settings though.

Regards,
    Neil.

16. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Its so confusing as to why some titles have PAL prog scan, and some don't!!!
    I hate developers for this..
    PGR2 (PAL) has prog scan even when XBOX is set to PAL, you don't get any 480p/720p/1080i options, only the PAL60, but it is in PAL prog scan..
    Where as Toca Race Driver when the XBOX is in PAL, it doesn't output in prog scan, yet does when the XBOX is set to NTSC...

perhaps we need to compile a list of titles that support PAL prog scan, and PAL titles that won't boot if your XBOX is set to NTSC..

17. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Are you sure? How do you know that you are getting a PAL progressive scan signal?? None of the PAL games I have give a progressive signal - can you name one for me to try.

The PAL Xbox doesn't support it, or any other progressive scan signals, during the Xbox live beta this issue came up on the MS beta site and they stated that the PAL console had a bug that showed the options with the Hidef adaptor but that the options did nothing. The bug was then later patched when Xbox Live was installed and is newer Xbox consoles.

Neil.

18. dj898

dj898

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I had x-digital's XVGA box I tried several PAL releases on my US xbox with the mod chip. DOA3, Halo and others all produces the 480p since XVGA box could not display the interlaced signal on LCD monitor.

there are however several titles that does only in 480i - The Thing being one of 'em.

cheers

19. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ah yes, because you modded the console and are running US games, but a bog standard PAL console won't produce a progressive or HDTV image.