Does PS5 do auto game mode switching with any TVs?

codlord

Has anyone managed to get auto game-mode switching on the PS5 to work with any TVs? Does it even work with Sony TVs?

I have a Samsung Q95T and with the PS4 Pro it worked perfectly: run a game and TV would turn ON game mode, run PS4 Netflix app and it would turn OFF game mode. So my movie watching is in movie mode with settings I choose for that mode, and games in game mode with settings I chose for that mode.

With the PS5 it does nothing, no auto switch.

I read some old threads on the topic here and here and Rtings website here explains the issue well: "Currently, only the Xbox One S / One X support the official HDMI ALLM spec, but the PS4 and PS4 Pro have a similar Sony proprietary feature that works on most TVs."

So it would appear Sony has either chosen not to implement their proprietary ALLM on the PS5 or has made another change to their proprietary ALLM on the PS5 so it no longer works with (at least my) Samsung TV.

I guess we can just hope Sony implements a future PS5 firmware change to get it working on all TVs...

My PS5 is on latest (at time of writing) firmware 21.01-03.20.00.04-00.00.00.0.1

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
Could you not just use Netflix on your tele, I’m always confused why people want a second device on consuming power, is there some technical reason why using a console for streaming is preferable?.

Ultrasonic

Could you not just use Netflix on your tele, I’m always confused why people want a second device on consuming power, is there some technical reason why using a console for streaming is preferable?.

I agree. I'd only use the PS5 for this if the TV didn't have a Netflix app.

What is being asked for here is also something a little different to initially described. The TV input I use for my PS5 is always in my defined game mode settings. What is being asked for is a mode that changes depending what the PS5 is doing though. In fact there is a bigger issue here if I remember correctly, in that doesn't the PS5 handle the SDR/HDR difference badly in apps? This is another reason to use a TV app where possible.

codlord

Of course that's possible but I am not sure it would solve the problem given that Samsung TV Game Mode seems to be a global setting and NOT a per-input setting.

And for me my TV is always just a monitor. I don't need a "smart" TV I am just forced to buy one. I don't watch or receive any terrestrial or satellite TV, I only use game console, Netflix and also have a PC media center (with Kodi). The added bonus of not using any of the Samsung apps is I don't have to agree to their terms/privacy and don't have any adverts/trailers or whatever stuff Samsung want to shove at me.

It's just frustrating to change from PS4 to PS5 and find a few things that worked fine with the PS4 don't work with the PS5. It's meant to be an upgrade not a downgrade! :laugh:

Ultrasonic

Of course that's possible but I am not sure it would solve the problem given that Samsung TV Game Mode seems to be a global setting and NOT a per-input setting.

Are you sure? That seems really dumb if it is. As in a reason to advise against people buying Samsung TVs level of dumb.

And for me my TV is always just a monitor. I don't need a "smart" TV I am just forced to buy one. I don't watch or receive any terrestrial or satellite TV, I only use game console, Netflix and also have a PC media center (with Kodi). The added bonus of not using any of the Samsung apps is I don't have to agree to their terms/privacy and don't have any adverts/trailers or whatever stuff Samsung want to shove at me.

Given you weren't able to buy a 'non-smart' TV you may as well take advantage of it though. As mentioned above, using your PS5 to do something that your TV can do on its own is rather a waste of electricity. I would at least give the Netflix TV app. a try.

Edit: I'd be very surprised in the adverts shown on Netflix were wildly different between the TV app. and on your PS5.

Last edited:

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
I don’t care about the fact that my tele is a smart TV either, it just is, I’ve not got any tv license my brother shares my Disney and I share his Netflix. I’ve got direct buttons on my tele remote so I’m not pratting around with PS5 to access them.

My last tele was before the smart tv revolution so I used the streaming apps on Xbox One, I had to buy the wee small media remote because I used to feel like a right fool navigating with the Xbox pad, trying to use the different triggers for moving through the film and turning the thing back on all the time because it had gone to sleep. Even the menu noises wind me up, on Xbox you can’t turn off system sounds so you are stuck with the sweeps and swooshes sounds all the time.

codlord

This is quickly going off-topic. The point of the original question was really to determine if Sony had implemented any sort of proprietary type of ALLM support in the PS5 or not, and if anyone has working game mode switching with the PS5 and any TV.

I know that the official ALLM is NOT supported by the PS5 but the PS4 apparently did not have offical ALLM support either, but it had something that made auto game mode switching work with Samsung TVs.

Ultrasonic

This is quickly going off-topic. The point of the original question was really to determine if Sony had implemented any sort of proprietary type of ALLM support in the PS5 or not, and if anyone has working game mode switching with the PS5 and any TV.

I know that the official ALLM is NOT supported by the PS5 but the PS4 apparently did not have offical ALLM support either, but it had something that made auto game mode switching work with Samsung TVs.

We're offering a solution to your problem, that is better for both your finances and from a climate change perspective.

I've not tried any apps on my PS5 to be able to comment on how it performs with my LG TV though.

Doctor Hades

I believe the PS5 does auto-switch between Game and Cinema modes on newer Sony TVs (no surprise there) but it does not support ALLM (or VRR for that matter) unlike my four year old Xbox One X. Sony are simply not very good at supporting stuff like this, unfortunately. I'm sure both ALLM and VRR will arrive eventually but it could be years away. Basically, don't hold your breath!

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
I only game on my consoles so ALLM has no benefit to me, I just leave that hdmi on game mode all the time, I need to dig into the settings on Xbox because that message popping up about ALLM being activated every time I start a game is really annoying.

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
ALLM will be handy when using a receiver. its ironic that PS5 works with the receivers but doesnt have ALLM where series X has ALLM but doesnt work with the receivers properly

Doctor Hades

The lack of ALLM makes using the PS5 as a 4K BD player a bit annoying in my opinion as I obviously want Game mode for PS4 and PS5 games for minimal processing and the lowest input latency but I want to use the properly calibrated Cinema modes for movies. Having to switch between manually is awkward, especially if you forget and then end up experiencing the awful lag you get with Cinema modes. It's why I ended up buying a separate Panasonic 820 4K BD player which uses its own picture preset.

Quite why Sony are unable to implement features that the Xbox One X has had for years (ALLM and VRR) is a mystery to me. It's almost like Sony are oblivious to them as even their own TVs have been slow to support these (another reason why I no longer buy Sony TVs).

codlord

Just an update on this topic. I just tried the latest PS5 firmware (the one which enables M.2 internal SSD support) and unfortunately no change to auto game mode switching (at least between games and Netflix app on my Samsung TV). I was kind of hoping with this firmware they might have added back whatever proprietary ALLM feature or whatever Sony has on the PS4 which makes it work.

Doctor Hades

I don't think Sony will ever support ALLM on the PS5. Their own TVs do have a feature that automatically switches between Game and Movie modes but that is a feature of the TV not the PS5.

Sony do things different, likely because they not only manufacture consoles but also TVs. I've seen reports that the PS5 does not have VRR because their own TVs do not yet support it (an issue with the SOCs they use which have yet to be updated for VRR) and Sony do not want owners of their own TVs having a worse experience than owners of LG, Samsung, etc TVs. A bit of a selfish attitude in my opinion, especially as I no longer see Sony TVs as offering the superior viewing experience for movies and games. In fact, I would argue that Sony are decidedly behind the likes of Samsung and LG in terms of supporting games features on all of their TVs and I would only recommend buying a Sony TV if you only watch movies. Sony TVs are typically more expensive than their rivals but you actually get less if you're a gamer. Hard to really recommend on that basis.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom