does ps3 upscale avi's

diggle

Standard Member
hi all:hiya:

ive searched but i cant find nothing:rolleyes:

im jjust wondering does the ps3 upscale avi movies that are being streamed to i by tversity through the component hd cable:rolleyes:

thanks all:hiya:

Uridium

Distinguished Member
hi all:hiya:

ive searched but i cant find nothing:rolleyes:

im jjust wondering does the ps3 upscale avi movies that are being streamed to i by tversity through the component hd cable:rolleyes:

thanks all:hiya:

Yes. Upscaling of HDD or Network streamed media was added in a firmware update mid 2008.

(Ps3 Media Server will do a better job than TVersity btw ;))

muckybucket

I assume it will output at whatever resolution you set it to. Certainly if you ran it through an AV system upscaling would occur if set to do so.

As I run my PS3 through an AV system I cannot verify if the native video stream is upscaled...

diggle

Standard Member
cool:cool:

so let me get this right. if i played the same avi in a dvd and on the ps3 would it look better on ps3:rolleyes:

muckybucket

Uridium is right, depends on your TV. Your PS3 would (probably) try to upscale to 1080p or i, but if your TV is 'HD Ready' then it would take a 1080i source and downscale itself to closer to 720...

Either way depends on your TV! If it supports 1080p output from the PS3 SHOULD be better...

diggle

Standard Member
cool thanks guys:thumbsup:

i just got my hd lead in the mail today i got to say my avis actually look quite good:clap:

diggle

Standard Member
e2a @ Uridium do you know if ps3 media server allows for movie cover art :rolleyes: i dont think tversity does i named a folder 1234 put movie and picture inside called 1234 it diddent show up on ps3

any ideas:hiya:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom