1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

does pronto RU 950 have timers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by dood, Apr 14, 2005.

1. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Cosidering buying this as a replacement for my 940. I use timers extensively on my 940 and would like to know if you can set timers on the 950 using the PC software.

2. Spam Javelin

Spam Javelin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi if you mean can you select delay times between operations then yes, have a look at www.remotecentral.com there's a free downloadable version of the latest RU950 programming software there - and loads of useful free downloads from bitmaps to complete ready to run configurations. Hope this helps. Martin

3. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Nope, not delays, timers. In other words being able to set up a series of actions to occur at specific times on specific days. The remotecentral forum answered my question by saying that all prontos have timers.

4. msmorley

msmorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, the RU950 does have programmable timers. I often use them to set my DVD recorder as its built-in STB controller doesn't always get the channel right :mad:

m.

Edited to add: timers are only programmable on the device itself - not with the PC software as you originally asked. All of the NG Prontos have timers - the original RU890 doesn't.

5. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    That's funny. I use prontoedit for my 940 and set all timers with the PC software. Much easier than doing it on the pronto as you can do a whole series of actions (macros) and set events to occur on specific days of the week at specific times etc.

6. msmorley

msmorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I agree, doing it in the software would be much easier than on the Pronto. Sadly, unless I'm completely missing it, the timer editing functionality from ProntoEdit is omitted from ProntoEdit NG. Indeed, IIRC, the timers weren't even present in the initial release of the RU950's firmware and were a later addition.

Having the timers on the device is also a PITA if, like me, you update the .pcf regularly as downloading seems to randomly switch the timers on/off or remove them altogether :mad:

Other than that, though, the RU950 is a great step up from the original Pronto - better screen, fast reactions etc. And for all it's failings, the current ProntoEdit NG software is far more flexible than that of the original series.

Hope this helps...

m.

7. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    That is a major no no for me. I can't believe that they would take such a retrogressive step from PE to PENG.

8. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Intrigued by the comment about fast reactions. I've read that one of the shortcomings of the 950 is that there is a delay before the IR is emitted after pressing a button. I've tried to find out how significant this is and whether the delay is any longer than on the 940 but no one seems to be able to advise. What is your experience?

9. msmorley

msmorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There is certainly more of a delay between button press and reception of the IR than with my 890 - but I can't comment on how much of that is down to the 950 on its own as I'm using the optional RF extender for all of my equipment. I'm afraid I've never used the 940 but I have to say that when I first got my 950 the delay was very annoying. Subsequent firmware revisions have improved the situation markedly and I no longer notice it as an issue until I have cause to get one of the original remotes out of the drawer and it's apparent how "positive" its action is.

When I alluded to fast reactions I really had in mind things like page jumps which are much quicker on the more modern device.

Hope this helps,

m.

10. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My 950 feels snappy to me. Never noticed any kind of delay, and fortunately the recent firmware/software update allows us to set how long the signal is sent, very handy if U have certain buttons that must be held down longer than others to work.