Does Prime Video feed Atmos audio with 1080p stream too? Because they sell a Fire TV w/Atmos support but no UHD.

jst6

Standard Member
I suspect the Dolby Atmos audio stream is only fed through the UHD video stream for Prime Video content.
If so, Amazon advertises ATMOS support on Fire TV but their own content don't provide it.
(I know DA is "available on select titles")

dante01

Distinguished Member
You are lucky if whatever you are accessing via Amazon includes Atmos let alone whether you'd get it with 1080p or not.

There's an abject scarcity of Atmos encoded content available via Amazon. You can technically include it with HD 1080p and the format isn't dependant upon the video being UHD in nature. Whether or not Amazon would incxlude it with HD content is another matter though. I've not personally encountered anything in HD on Amazon that has Atmos though.

jst6

Standard Member
You can technically include it with HD 1080p and the format isn't dependant upon the video being UHD in nature. Whether or not Amazon would incxlude it with HD content is another matter though.

I know, and - regardless of the fact that there is probably only one title with DA - I am trying to get the answer from Amazon.

I purchased a Fire TV whose specs are:
Dolby Atmos: YES
4k: NO

But if DA stream is only fed with 4k video stream, then in my opinion this is misleading advertising, at least talking about Amazon Prime Video Content on Amazon device.

Thank you for answering.

brodders1979

It is. But not the lack of atmos tracks. Read better.
I can read perfectly fine thank you very much so you can take your rudeness elsewhere as it won't get you very far on this forum.

You have bought a fire tv stick that supports atmos soundtracks.
Atmos is available on various steaming platforms via the fire TV stick and not limited just to UHD streams.

jst6

Standard Member
I can read perfectly fine thank you very much so you can take your rudeness elsewhere as it won't get you very far on this forum.

You have bought a fire tv stick that supports atmos soundtracks.
Atmos is available on various steaming platforms via the fire TV stick and not limited just to UHD streams.
I apologize.
I am looking for confirmation that the answer to the question in subject is NO.
My gripe is not with the lack of atmos tracks.
I am aware there are other streaming services but this is Amazon on Amazon.
Thank you

brodders1979

Personally I always feel short changed by all of the broadcasters and streaming services. Amazon Prime is probably the worst of them, very little UHD content when it is available in that format (Picard series is a great example of this) and a front end application that doesn’t make it easy to find the UHD content that does exist. Similarly with Atmos, in an age now where Atmos playback is possible in more and more homes with the increase of soundbars capable of playing this format!

jst6

Standard Member
I agree.
I said that I am trying to get the answer from Amazon, let me explain better.
Two weeks ago I spent a couple of hours at the phone with Prime Video support, answering their questions and trying this and that. Just this morning they asked me to reproduce the issue, noting date and time so they can read the relevant entries in their system logs.
Couldn't they just say "sorry, you need the 4k version"?
They know exactly what version i got, but I guess they'll pretend to find out from the logs.

MBeeching

The lack of Atmos/1080p content on Prime does not make the hardware specs misleading. I believe you could purchase a title like Gravity (HD) from iTunes and the Fire Stick would be compatible with the Atmos track.

However you could dispute Amazon's claim that: 'Dolby Atmos is available on selected titles when connected to compatible equipment'. In that context availability on Prime is implied, but appears to be inaccurate at the current time.

jst6

Standard Member
The lack of Atmos/1080p content on Prime does not make the hardware specs misleading. I believe you could purchase a title like Gravity (HD) from iTunes and the Fire Stick would be compatible with the Atmos track.
I guess so.
However you could dispute Amazon's claim that: 'Dolby Atmos is available on selected titles when connected to compatible equipment'. In that context availability on Prime is implied, but appears to be inaccurate at the current time.
I would say it is more than implied:
Fire TV Stick does not support 4K streaming. [...]
Dolby Atmos is available on select Prime Video, Netflix, and Disney+ titles when connected to compatible equipment.

"Select Prime Video" translates to "4k" at the moment (still to be confirmed), so we can play around with words but in my opinion it is misleading.

jst6

Standard Member
So here's the correct answer from Amazon:

"Dolby Atmos will only be available on selected UHD content."

They should fix the product claim accordingly.

Last edited:

jst6

Standard Member
The answer above comes from Amazon Staff member in Amazon Forums.

Instead, Prime Video support just e-mailed me that no matter the Fire TV is not 4k, I should get Atmos on their selected content (Jack Ryan, Aeronauts, The Grand Tour season 3-4, English [no CC]).

If I don't, they say, it's a compatibility issue with the soundbar (JBL 9.1, I am not aware of compatibility issues, nor is Harman support).

jst6

Standard Member
Prime Video support said:
even if you don't have a 4K fire tv, Dolby Atmos audio is available for select titles (including Prime Video content such as those listed in the previous email, Netflix and Disney +) by connecting the Fire TV Stick to a compatible soundbar or stereo system.

Sounds bull**** to me, but still.
I asked what is a compatible soundbar so I could give a try.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom