Does position of centre speaker matter with Atmos/DTS X/DTS Neural X

Sab

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Does the position of the centre speaker matter when used with Atmos/DTS X/DTS Neural X?

The reason I am asking is because of my centre speaker is not in the middle between the front left and right speakers.

Thanks in advance

It should still be placed between the front two, equal or as equal as you can get. Makes no difference if you have Atmos or not, it's still the centre speaker.

If you can't centre it, or as good as centre it, consider running a phantom from the mains instead. If it's very close to one of the mains definitely ditch it as all it's achieving is to mess up your soundstage.

If you can't centre it, or as good as centre it, consider running a phantom from the mains instead. If it's very close to one of the mains definitely ditch it as all it's achieving is to mess up your soundstage.

By " running a phantom from the mains instead " do you mean to leave out the centre speaker when setting up the speakers in my AV reciever's speaker set up?

By " running a phantom from the mains instead " do you mean to leave out the centre speaker when setting up the speakers in my AV reciever's speaker set up?
No. A phantom centre is ditching the actual centre speaker and just using the left and right. The centre channel dialogue will be mixed down to 4.1 and spread between those two speakers. Just like you would listen to music in stereo. Can sound better than a compromised centre channel position.

Unplug the centre, run the set up again and see what you think. The amp will sense there's no centre when it doesn't hear it during the test tones and change the settings itself so you shouldn't have to change anything extra.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom