1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does playing copies damage your DVD player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by paulr, Dec 8, 2003.

1. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Never thought about it until a thread i just read....can copies "damage" your dvd player?

2. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :rotfl: :rotfl:

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Not sure what you've read Paul but it seems implausible that any aspect of the DVD itself, barring physical damage, could in turn damage the player.

If you're referring to the discussion about Sony players which was on here a couple of days ago, that was referring to Sony's deliberate de-focussing of the laser to try to prevent it reading copies .. this defocussing in time can cause the player to refuse to read 'real' DVDs, it's nothing to do with damage caused by trying to play copies.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    I take DVD players are made to read copies as well as the pre-recorded ones, why else would they support picture formats like jpeg, also mp3.

5. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the only damage that can happen tends to be limited to multi disc players where poor quality DVDr can cause the mechanisms to stick.

Phil

6. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    In the manual for my Wharfedale 750s DVD player, it categorically states in big capital letters

'DO NOT PUT PHOTO CD'S INTO THE DVD PLAYER OR DAMAGE MAY OCCUR'

What's all that about then?...often tempted but never dared to do it myself!

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Might be something to do with the wavelenght used for Pic CD's damaging pick up, after all its the pickup, not the laser that really matters.

8. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Interesting....

9. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't believe copies can damage any DVD becasue they are copies. A damaged disk might cause player damage, but I doubt it; that's more likely on a high speed PC drive.

What may cause damage is data recorded on the disk which is in a format not anticipated by the player manufacturer. Effects of such a design fault might include: attempting to move the pickup off the end of its track, attempting to spin the disk too fast, locking up the player (so it needs removal of mains power) or sending damagingly loud noise to the audio outputs.

I suppose an original pressed CD/DVD might be assumed to be less likely to have these problems than something you wrote on your PC.

However, on the whole I suspect this is scaremongering similar to the warnings regularly given out twenty years ago that you must unplug your TV at the wall every night as just switching off might still mean it burnt your house down. i.e. it's theoretically possible, but consistently doing anything about it amounts to an obsessive compulsive disorder.

10. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Commercial dvds are more likely to be damaging than copies! Have I gone mad?

The way I see it a laser pickup goes along back and forth along its plastic guides with the laser set to its wavelength and a small optical focusing lense goes up and down trying to read the data on the disc as it rushes by.

Its when the dvd can't read data that the optical assembly goes up and down frantically trying to focus and the mechanism judders on the spot trying to reread that section before quickly giving up and you end up missing a frame or get some onscreen artifact.

While a scratched dvd either original or copy can cause this, one of the main times it does it even on good dvds is the layer change and often the first sign of a ageing laser is the player struggling with the second layer. So single layer copies as long as they are good copies should be easier on the mechanism.

When you look at the ps2, Sony presumably worried about the accurate reading of game data from the second layer decided to make all ps2 dvd based games single layer.

So by my reckoning the the second layer is generally more likely to cause problems than copies even if its just the actual change of focus from going from one layer to ther other.

11. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    As there is no physical connection between the laser and the DVD, I cannot see how any copy could possibly damage the machine.