Does Pioneer still set the standard?

threeputt

Standard Member
Finally arrived at the point where a TV upgrade is going to happen, and coincidentally, a high end 50’ plasma is almost affordable. One of two choices seems apparent.
A) 9th generation Pioneer or
B) V10 Series Panasonic.
There appear to be some good deals out there bringing the Pioneer into the zone where it can be seriously considered (at the expense of other trimmings – blu ray player etc). But then there is also a body of opinion suggesting that the new NeoPDP screens from Panasonic represent excellent value for money.
I also presume that the Pioneer 9th generation screens have been around for the last year or so now….surely the rest have closed the gap somewhat. Are there other value for money choices to be considered?
Viewing will be mostly sports material (SKY HD once installed and Setanta sports) and the occasional movie. Mindful that I am upgrading from a 21 inch CRT, I wonder what views some of the more experienced user have?

malctAN

I am In the same boat as yourself, i am upgrading from a B&O 32inch Advant which once cost £5,000 but i paid £1400 2 years ago 2nd hand and now worth Nothing, even thou the picture is just has good as the Pioneer with the Blacks and colour, but since its the Big Switch over to Freeview next week in cumbria, i think its now the time to upgrade.

Looking at the Pioneer, I wonder to if Others have caught up.
The new panasonic is suppose to be the Biz.

I guess time is passing by and in a few months time there will be no more Kuros in the shops, Just wonder what will happen to all those wall mounts and Table top stands that your having to pay extra for.
That is a bug bearer of mine, Buying a TV and you cant even stand it up without buying a Pioneer stand.

Malc

Suave

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Well, you are right on both counts - the latest Panasonics are very good value for money and the V10 is a nice set - it has THX mode but has crippled service menu on UK models apparently. As good as they are, they are still no match for the Pioneers which are still way ahead imho. The new Panny's may be a tad brighter but the Kuro still murders them on black levels and SD stuff. I had a very long look at the V10 with SD stuff and it is not that great tbh. If you have the money, I would get the Pioneer while they are still available - they are still leagues ahead in overall performance to anything else out there.

Suave!

-Hitman-

If you want a Pioneer then hurry as they are fast becoming rocking horse do, luckily i got a supplier to save me mine.

pixelated

TLCBroadcast.co.uk and John Lewis.com appear to have stock of the 5090 right now (10 or more each), which is quite unusual. Time to get 'em chaps.

klythawk

TLCBroadcast.co.uk and John Lewis.com appear to have stock of the 5090 right now (10 or more each), which is quite unusual. Time to get 'em chaps.
It looks like JL are making hay while the sun shines, they have upped their price to £2499. :eek:

TLC also seem to have a couple of 600M's too!:thumbsup: Pioneer screens still are the best screens imho and will likely be so for a while.:)

threeputt

Standard Member
Thanks guys, the views are much appreciated. Seems to be an open and shut case. The Kuro appears to be the standard setter, hard as other’s try. So somewhere out there is a 5090 or a KRP-500a with my name on it. Preferably delivered by next weekend; Makes a big change from the last TV, which was a managers £200 special from Comet, the day before the Sydney games started.

malctAN

I have asked Lifestyle if they want to buy it back, but their not taking any more and Peter Tyson offered me just over a £100, plus there selling on Ebay for £200.

Its a great TV and i might try and move my living room about and have 2 TV's.

choddo2006

Novice Member
Why replace a great TV you're happy with just because of analogue switch-off? Just plug in a sky/freesat/freeview box, surely?

malctAN

i have a topfield 5800 connected to my B&O for freeview which is OK, but i do fancy a bigger screen to watch my music DVD's on.
To be honest, i would be daft to get rid of the B&O, but what gets me is the fact 10 years ago when phillips brought at the new Plasma in Cool Green and the big box, there was nothing that was going to better it and every year there is something new
I have 2 friends who bought the latest TV with HD which have developed faults and now they have had to replace their TV's, so are these new TV's up to it. (Samsungs)

Last edited:

chaosrealm

Novice Member
I have 2 friends who bought the latest TV with HD which have developed faults and now they have had to replace their TV's, so are these new TV's up to it. (Samsungs)
so did i have a Samsung which broke, it only lasted 2 & half years so i contacted the retailer (Currys) and under the sales of goods act 1979 they are gonna repair it for free... so i would advise your friends to do the same.... if you want any pointers in how to go about it just PM me :thumbsup:

malctAN

Both my friends got there samsungs sorted, the first one got in touch with Samsung direct after the retailer told them that the TV was not covered by the warranty, the second one had a accident with his TV while decorating and got the TV replaced.

Its the only thing about mass produced items and retailers likes of currys.
Mind you, i had a issue with a Linn speaker which was only 7 months old and the retailer was not interested.

Malc

Doctor Smith

I have the pioneer lx5080 and have had the upgrade bug for 3 weeks. Want a 60 incher. Have looked at LG, Samsung and the 50 inch panasonic V series. None of them seem to have a better picture than my current set. Im pinning my hopes on the samsung 58b850 when I have the feedback from some guys on the forum who have recieved theres today.

Although it looks like the only worthwile upgrade will be the pioneer lx6090. Which is a grand above my budget. Dont want to play it cheap though as i might regret.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom