1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Panny DMR HS2 have progressive scan?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by giantteabag, Oct 10, 2004.

1. giantteabag

giantteabag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does Panny DMR HS2 have progressive scan?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About to upgrade from CRT to plasma so I'm on a steep AV learning curve!

Does my HS2 support progressive scan & what board would I need to connect to a PW7?
    Thanks.

PS Sorry I posted this on the wrong forum earlier!

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    No it doesn't. The outputs available on your Panasonic HS2 for display on a Plasma are Scart (RGB, S-Video or Composite) or S-Video. By far the best output is RGB Scart.

The Scart terminal board is what you need. However there is a school of thought on the Plasmas forum that says your better off getting a Scart to RGB converter as the PW6/7 Scart board gives a 'soft' image (it works out around the same price). I suggest you investigate this issue further there - see this thread on the subject.

3. giantteabag

giantteabag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak,
    Thanks for info.
    I intend to get the JS Converter & use it for my sky+ rgb output.
    So how do I also get the HS2 feed in it as well?
    Also, I won't put audio thru JS (using optical into audio amp) so will I have any lip sync probs?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Just put the HS2 in front of the loop:

Sky+ TV Out >>> AV2 on the HS2 and then AV1 >>> RGB-VGA Converter

You shouldn't have any lip sync issues but you might want to raise that issue on the Plasma forum as they have considerably more experience with that converter than me (all my kit converts to component before going to the screen).

5. giantteabag

giantteabag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak,
    Thanks...just sent plasma forum a post.
    Teabag.

6. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Isn't there an issue with lip sync and the HS2 when you use a plasma screen, due to the image processing time being different to what the hs2 expects with a crt display.

There were long discussions about this in the past and the problem was never really resolved. This is quite relevant if you need to use the hs2 tuner to get tv on the plasma screen

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    It affects all screens and is just a 'feature' of the Recorder. It only applies when the recorder is ON and not being used to play anything. It shouldn't affect giantteabag anymore than it does now because the unit will be off when he is not using it and thus the signal will just pass through unaffected to the VGA converter. If using the internal tuner of the device then there is no lip sync issue - it only affects pass thru sources.