1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Panasonic PE30 have "Quasi 100hz"?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by blindlemon, Aug 4, 2004.

1. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere.

I have emailed Panasonic, but had no response at all. Their website describes the PW6 panel as having Quasi 100hz, but doesn't mention it for the PE30.

I've seen the discussions on the pros/cons of the technology, so am interested to know, given that the PE30 is *supposed* to be the same display as the PW6, whether I will get the benefits and/or drawbacks of this feature if I buy a PE30.

I should mention that I'm pretty sensitive to flicker, and have noticed a slight flicker on the PE30s I've seen in shops (not a proper darkened room "dem" though), so am a bit concerned that if the PE30 doesn't have this, maybe I should be thinking about a PW6 instead... :rolleyes:

2. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I believe if you can see flicker on a PE30 you'll see it on a pw6 as I think they're the same screen.

3. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    What exactly is Quasi 100Hz? I've got a PW6 but I've not seen an option for turning this on/off, is it on by default? I also don't notice any flicker whatsoever on my PW6, although I'm not sensitive to it. Having said that, I was round someones house watching a movie on their 32" Widescreen Sony CRT and I started noticing a flicker and also rough edges around thing, it was quite annoying at points. I've never noticed it before and always thought his Sony was a cracking TV, but obviously after a week of viewing the PW6 plasma and watching Progressive movies I've become sensitive to how the image used to look...

Oh also I know the PE30 does have some differences (like I don't think it's compatible with 1080i and 720p like the PW6 is) so although it is the same screen the technology behind it is clearly different. As it's a "Quasi" 100hz screen one imagines it is done through the circuitry not the screen itself, so if the PE30 doesn't have it, it's entirely possible you will notice a difference with the PW6 even though the actual glass is the same.

Best thing to do is go somewhere to demo it...

4. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I wish you hadn't mentioned screen flicker. I have the PE30. I have been perfectly happy with it. After reading this post, I looked closely, and yes I can detect it, maining on scenes with a lot of light colours.
    If you put on say the sky guide, and look at the set while looking at something to the side of the screen, you can notice a slight flicker. However if you just look at the screen it is less noticable. The problem is I know it's there now!!

5. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    MAW,
    You must be able to answer this one.
    Have you ever had a customer who has noticed a flicker on the PW6? Or indeed have you?
    As Blindlemon rightly says, in the Panasonic brochure it shows the PW6 as having "Quasi 100 hz" where as this isn't meantioned in the Viera part of the brochure.
    I can deffinately notice the flicker on the PE30.

6. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I had a panny 6 that I returned because I could see flicker on it. I'd not noticed it in shops but saw it straightaway once it was on my wall. Flicker was noticeable on large areas of colour. For example, it was particularly noticeable when playing pro evo soccer at 50hz where the large areas of grass highlighted the problem quite badly: at 60hz (there was a 60hz option in the game) things were a lot better.

7. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It's confirmed, I went to John Lewis today and looked at all the screens again.
    I can notice the flicker on all the Panasonic plasmas, so "Quasi 100hz" or not, both the PW6 and the PE30 exhibit the same flicker.
    The only screens I could not detect any flicker whatsoever and had a picture to rival the Pannys were the Pioneer and the Sony. As I only want a 37" that narrows it down to the Sony, but this screen will cost over £500 more than my PE30.
    So my dilema is to put up with the slight flicker, or shell out more money on the Sony. However there is not much info about the Sony and once home I might notice picture problems with this screen.
    I am really am quite surprised that this flickering with Pannys hasn't been brought up more often, I see it as being the only downside to an otherwise terrific screen.
    I only have a couple more days to make up my mind before I do not have the option of taking it back.

8. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yep, once you're aware of the flicker you can see it all the time. My wife couldn't see it and couldn't understand why I returned the screen.

If you're thinking of the Sony XS then it's an ALIS screen. I don't mind them myself but you may wish to search this forum for comments regarding this type of screen as they are not universally loved.

JL sell them so I'd try for a price match if you want one.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Truthfully, none of my customers have complained about flicker. They're usually too busy being gobsmacked, and their wives checking if we've left a dusty footprint so they can argue with the bill. I don't point it out once it's on the wall, you can understand why. IMHO you will have worse problems than flicker with the sony, which I can see a kind of shimmer effect on anyway, I can't watch ALIS

10. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    dont see any flicker on mine when is it supossed to hapen

11. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Rooney, It is happening all the time, however is only noticable to me on light scenes. The newsreader sitting in front of a light back ground shows it off to me quite obviously.
    Apparently not everyone is sensitive to it, so you're probably alright, if you haven't seen it yet you probably never will.
    Just typical I am.
    What I can't understand though is how any plasma screen can be prone to this, none of the LCD screens are. I can understand how CRT suffers as the way the picture is formed, but Plasma pictures are formed different.
    Anyway, I will probably be keeping the Panny, the Sony was to long for my space and I can't justify the extra £500. As MAW said I probaby have some other problem with that one anyway.

12. sabujo

sabujo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Orlando, I believe you. But could it be some sort of optical ilusion? I only mentioned this because yesterday I was at a Neurolgyst's office (not as a pacient, yet) and he had a small poster on the wall shaped like a 20'' widescreen set and on it there was a solid blue blackground with thick red vertical stripes on top. Can you believe that it was flickering (I can't discribe it a better way) like hell? Very disturbing an annoying. And there were no electrical light sources anywhere. Then the doctor told me the brain can be easely confused with a particular arrangement of solid bright colors.

Just my 2 cents.

13. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Orlando,

another thought that struck me with regards your flicker: What kind of lighting do you have in the room that houses the Viera? If it's some sort of flourescent tube (maybe even an energy saver bulb) could this be the source of your flickering problems? If you have an ordinary tungsten filament bulb as the main source of light then that's my hypothesis shot down in flames :D

I say this because workshops with rotating machinery, lathes etc., cannot have ordinary strip lights as they cause a flickering type effect that can be dangerous for the machine operators. Instead special high frequency strip lights have to be used instead.

Just a thought.

S.

14. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    This could be an explanation as my brain is very easily confused.
    However I don't think so, it definately does flicker, not really bad, but when your 100hz CRT didn't do it at all you do notice it.

15. sabujo

sabujo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D Too much :beer: also does it for me. I just hope I don't notice it on my soon-to-arrive pe30 :suicide:

16. whirlpool

whirlpool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic's own spec for this model states that it features Quasi 100HZ

17. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I can't see any flicker on mine, and I've been looking really closely for the last 5 minutes on all sorts of channels! Guess I'm one of the lucky ones!

18. whirlpool

whirlpool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quote from Panasonic's spec "New Quasi 100HZ System - ...detects when a PALvideo signal is input and essentiallly doubles the number of fields displayed in a given time. This dramatically reduces the flicker that can occur when displaying PAL sources."

I have the TH37PE30 model, ther's no obvious flicker. I previously had a Panasonic TX32PF10 which was a 100HZ set, so I know what flicker free looks like.

19. Loftus

Loftus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure how effective panasonics "quasi 100Hz" feature really is. I have upgraded from a 100Hz widescreen CRT to a Panny 42HD6 but the flicker, while not huge, is noticable. If this is an improvement on the 5 series, well, I'd hate to have to watch a 5 series all day long. Obviously it depends on how "susceptable" you are to noticing any flicker, but I find it slightly irratating.

I've been playing with DScaler on my HTPC and sending a de-interlaced, scaled video signal to the plasma at 1024x768 (NR) @ 75Hz - it fixes the flicker, but my HTPC needs a speed boost now :suicide:

20. whirlpool

whirlpool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only the latest Viera series have Quasi 100HZ.

21. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Looking at the spec of the Viera PE30's there is no mention of Quasi 100Hz anywhere, so it's probably not a feature.

If you look for it, the flicker is there. If it bothers you, it'll be more noticable on the 42" rather than 37".

22. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    people try to look for ghosts, some see them, some dont ,or some dont no what theyve seen, is it a bird is it a plane no its a plasma tv flickering
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :rotfl: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OR IS IT