1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Pal XBox output in Progressive Scan?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by skirpydoink, May 24, 2003.

1. skirpydoink

skirpydoink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hello, i sold my US XBox a few months ago but now i am interested in getting another, can someone tell me if a PAL modded XBox will output an NTSC progressive signal.

Thanks for the help.

2. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. Modified PAL XBOX will ouput 480p, 720p, as well as 1080i signals. But whenever you play XBOX Live, you have to disable mod. Then you're stuck with 576i PAL only.

3. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get a PAL XBox for about £60 with JSRF and Sega GT2002 from Argos with www.chocollect.co.uk (you have to collect 70 codes from Mars group wrappers,)

4. skirpydoink

skirpydoink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thanks for your answers:smashin:

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,040
    Can you use the hidef AV pack with an unmodded PAL console? I want to use a component connection to connect it to my plasma. I appreciate it won't be progressive until I get it chipped so I can play US software but will it output 625i over component?

Cheers,
    Andy.

6. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,040
    Ignore previous post, should have read the FAQ!

Cheers,
    Andy.

7. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry to be a plank, but i dont need to bother with all this if i get a scaler card e.g iscan ultra?

8. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    not true as I found out just the other week (by accident).
    I have a US machine just for Live and didn;t want to wait for MotoGP2, so I bought a UK green machine. I duly had it modded and switched (for media player and jap stuff).
    I use the videomode selector (as most people do) and left it in NTSC mode when the machine was switched to unmodded PAL mode, I still had the progressive options..I was well chuffed. So I'm enjoying MotoGP2 in progressive on a PAL machine.:)

No one seems to know why the videomode selector is still working when the machine is switched back to normal PAL mode..but it does.:) and I know a lot of clued up people..

9. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    no mate, dont need to do anything if you use a device like an Iscan. One think to bear in mind is if you have a NTSC Xbox then some games support 720p which Iscanb wont do..and believe me, Soul Calibur II in 720p looks jaw-dropping.:)

I use an Iscan for PAL stuff (not xbox) including PS2 and am very pleased with results.:)

10. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you can connect to XBOX Live with modification turned on ?

Or do you mean 480p, 720p as well as 1080i can be enabled even though modification is turned off for XBOX Live ??

11. leedsfireman

leedsfireman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    PAL & NTSC xboxes are exactly the same machine. When you mod a PAL xbox & use the video mode disc, to change it to a NTSC signal, then dissable the mod the box is a plain old US box.
    There is no need to go out & buy two different machines to play on Live or have the prog scan output.

12. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,040
    Do you get the video mode disc as standard when you get your X-box chipped or do you have to get it from somewhere else?

Cheers,
    Andy.

13. dj898

dj898

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

This will get you banned from XLIVE.
    XLIVE check your machine for any tempering and if it's PAL unit with NTSC output it will blocked it for life.

Only solution seems like NTSC Xbox with switch to turn on and off for XLIVE.

14. MRJAZZ

MRJAZZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well... can you guys tell me if I buy a XBOX Live Starter Kit in UK, would that work with my US XBOX ? (not modded, it's a plain US machine).

I ask because I get different answers from different people. Some said Live starter kit has regions, and some say they're universal.

Also, there seems to be a billing region problem with XBOX Live. If I set my billing region to UK, but my XBOX is US....what happens ? Should I set the billing region to US (making one up?) ? I've heard that region of XBOX, and billing region on Live need to be matched. (if US XBOX, then US billing address. if PAL UK XBOX, then UK billing address) :(

Please someone clarify this for me.

Bloody confusing... :D

15. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes, the US XBox does work with a UK Live kit - at least mine does. I signed up with a UK credit card and address - I don't recollect anything about billing regions.

EffTee

EDIT: While there didn't used to be a problem, there clearly now is. MS seem to have blocked the download of the new content for MechAssault for US consoles in other regions. Not happy.

16. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    not true at all. I use a US machine for LIve and a modded PAL machine with a switch for UK Live. There is no way Live will know what videomode you are using as it has nothing to do with the ethernet cicuitry. I've been playing MotoGP2 religiously everyday since UK release with my modded UK machine with mod switched off yet still use NTSC video and get progressive.:)

17. MRJAZZ

MRJAZZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    museumsteve,

what mod chip are you using ?

18. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    it shouldn't matter what chip it is. The guy I use for mods uses home brew chips and as far as I can see they are all pretty much the same.
    The important thing is to have the machine switched so the mod can be turned off.

19. MRJAZZ

MRJAZZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, museumsteve. :)

Let me get one thing straight.

AFAIK, PAL titles/games are programmed to run in PAL colour, and frequency, and due to this I believe PAL titles are programmed slightly different from NTSC titles/games. Hence developers need to do conversion works (re-coding) for different territory. (NTSC & PAL).

If you set your modified PAL XBOX to NTSC mode, how does that run PAL titles/games in 480p which is NTSC progressive ?? If the XBOX is forced to do the conversion from PAL optimised games to NTSC by modification, don't you get tearing, and stuttering artefacts ??

:confused:

20. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    I dont know the finite details, but most Xbox games are designed for PAL60 output which is on par with NTSC, therefore no problems, certianly not that I've seen (and I like to think I have a pretty good eye). There are a few exceptions where the games are programmed for PAL territories to run better in PAL 50 hz, these would be a problem but there are very few..only ones I know of are Halo , Max Payne and 007 Agent Under Fire..
    :)

21. MRJAZZ

MRJAZZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm... that's interesting.

But PAL60 certainly is not NTSC. They have the same vertical refresh rate which is 60Hz, but colour carrier is different as well as vertical resolution. 480 vs 576.

If modified XBOX is 'forced' to output 480p NTSC from PAL titles, there definately would be hell of artefacts.

Of course, unless coding for XBOX region when develop games is different than any other cnosoles which I doubt... but who knows..

22. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    well as I say I dont know the ins and outs but dont forget the Xbox is as close to a universal machine as we've seen since 3DO days so maybe things are different these days. One thing's for sure and that's that I dont get any degradation of image/signal between NTSC or PAL60 or at least not that I notcie on a big screen (HS10).:)

23. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm pretty sure that PAL60 is exactly the same resolution as NTSC, though I agree with you about the colour carrier differing.

This is backed up by various web sites I've checked. This is an exerpt from www.dvddemystified.com :

On the colour carrier point, this is bypassed if you use any decent quality type of connection such as RGB or component, so doesn't have any effect.

I may be wrong, but this does seem to be the majority consensus after some web-checking.......

24. MRJAZZ

MRJAZZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks museumsteve, and Richard.

So... PAL60 and NTSC are indeed the same in terms of vertical resolution as well as vertical refresh rate. I didn't know this. Quite interesting. :)

Yes, whenever RGB, and component connections are used colour carrier part is bypassed.

Now it starts to make sense!! :D

25. MRJAZZ

MRJAZZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Errr....one question.

Can you play say.....US version of MotoGP2 with modified PAL XBOX on XBOX Live ??

because when mod is switched off, then the XBOX defaults to PAL/European region, correct ? If this is the case, it means you cannot play US version of Live-enabled titles with modified PAL machine on XBOX Live ??

museumsteve,
    what's the manufacturing date on your Limited Edition XBOX ??

26. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    manufacture date is Feb 2003 (Green machine)..
    but you cant play US Live games on modded UK machine online cos as you say once switch is off machine defaults to UK only..

27. Daithi

Daithi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing to do with Live but for the record the Pal version of the Matrix will not run in NTSC mode, let's hope we don't see more of this jiggery pokery, eh. By the way, I can't use component to my PTAE100 when in PAL mode(lots of vertical bands all accross the screen) but it's perfect in NTSC. Anyone else seen this?

28. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    I dont remember a problem when I had AE100..I'll ask a mate who is running one with an xbox and component and let you know tomorrow. For the record what cable you using, official Microsoft hi-def or a third party set..?

29. Daithi

Daithi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried it with both, but I'm not too bothered, svideo is fine and it's not like I'd be getting progressive nayway. Cheers steve.

30. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    ok guys, Im REALLY confused right now.

Got my official Hi-def pack this morn (MUCH better than the Gamester one, although not as good as the Ixos PS2 component cable)

I havent tried any games yet (apart from final burn) but everything Im throwing at it is apparently Prog Scan including PAL dvds. This is on my toshiba 36ZD26P, you can tell when its in prog scan by the way the screen flickers and the option to change scanning modes disappears leaving only black scale option ON/OFF.

The 36ZD has been confirmed to DEFINETLY not support PAL prog scan so whats happening?

Im gonna try both PAL and NTSC games when I get the chance and I'll let you know what I get.

Also I should add that my PAL Xbox is Chipped with Xecuter 2. My mate installed EvoX on it as well as Emus/Apps and the prog scan patch for DVDx.