Does PAL=Composite

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Ash007, Jan 3, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is PAL (as opposed to RGB), in the Sky setup menu, another way of saying Composite?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    As I understand it when you select PAL the digibox encodes it's signal and sends it to the TV where it is then processed and displayed on the screen.
    With RGB there is no need for the digibox to encode the signal, it's just sent to the TV which then can display RGB without the processing a PAL signal requires.

Composite is just another method of sending the PAL signal to the TV.

I would not be surprised if this is corrected in future posts:)

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    No you are pretty much correct. The digital signal received by the digibox is encoded in component form. The box can either convert this to RGB and send it to the display device where minimal processing is required as they need RGB to work....or it can encode the component signal down in to a composite one. In the UK the form of encoding is PAL-I. The TV would then have to put this through lots of processing to get back the RGB signal it needs to work. It would never be able to get it all back compared to if it went straight to RGB...

Gordon

4. Orac

Orac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PAL system is a protocol that describes the whole process of taking RGB, converting it to composite and modulating it on to an RF (radio frequency) carrier. There are sub-protocols like PAL I and PAL G which contain small modifications to the latter (RF modulation) process to adhere to individual countries' requirements, but these do not affect the technical structure of the composite signal. For example, UK videos use PAL I, whereas german videos use PAL G - but the composite signals in and out of the SCARTs are 100% compatible.