Does optical output guarantee DD 5.1 compatibility?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Jim Robson, Jul 22, 2001.

1. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
    "The new SkyPlus box delivers Dolby Digital audio. The answer is via a built in optical output (though there's no coaxial alternative)."

"Digiboxes from Nokia and Sony both have digital outputs."

My first question is, does having a Sony or Nokia digibox guarantee that we'd be able to decode and play Dolby Digital 5.1 (via suitable amp) sound when it becomes available?

My second question is, when Sky say Dolby Digital do they mean Dolby Digital 5.1 or are we talking of a 'reduced' format which could still be described as DD? Are we talking actual DVD quality?

Regards

Jim :D

PS I actually have a silver Panasonic so my question is just for information!

[ 23-07-2001: Message edited by: Jim Robson ]

2. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I have a pace box, jim, but, like you, I would really like to know the answer. This will certainly be a good reason to upgrade....if only it wasn't for the monthly subscription!

3. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary, IF boxes with a digital output means you can get DD then the easiest way to do it without going to Sky+ and having to pay a subscription is to buy a Sony or Nokia box from a reputable dealer off ebay. I wanted the s-video capability of a Grundig box so that's what I did.

4. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even on DVDs dolby digital don't always mean too much, for example. Blazing Saddles has a dolby digital soundtrack, but it's dolby digital mono! whoopee f'ing do.

my OnDigital whoops ITV digital (or who ever it is going to be next month) box has coax digital out, but the sound sometimes drops out, as I have a Sony 925 this then loses sound for about half a second!