1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does one of these exist yet?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by mcompton69, Dec 18, 2004.

Tags:
  1. mcompton69

mcompton69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I want a combined DVB-T PVR with a DVD +/- R/W drive. Does one exist?

The Lite-On LVW-5045 sounds good (damn sight cheaper than the Sony equivalent) but the TV tuner is analogue and therefore I will need an additional DVB box.

The Humax PVR 8000t that I have at the moment is good, but even with a 160gb upgrade it is a pain when it's full and there is no easy way to get the video off.

Thanks in advance

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    no one box DVB record and archive box yet (not DVD and HDD but give it 6 months and i think Sony ,Pio aand PAnny will have them

3. jason_one

jason_one
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why do to want a combined?
    if you got the space go for a dvb-pvr (twin tuner is better) and a dvd recorder of your choice. from as little as £300 for both :thumbsup:
    also if you buy any combined av boxes just to note that when one thing brakes you may have to replace the lot! :eek:
    the only time i would get a combined unit is for a bedroom

any way its up to you :)

jas

4. mcompton69

mcompton69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You do have a point, but I want the PVR and DVDR to be combined so that I can benefit from A) Not having to manually start and stop the DVDR recordings - so I can just archive what I have already recorded and B) Benefit from the faster recording speeds.

BUT if the PVR does not have a DVB tuner then I cannot record (either PVR or DVDR) specific programs using the EPG menu, which is an inconvenience.

There is an alternative though - Are there any DVB PVR tuners that have a HDD which records using a PC based software so I can just pull out the HDD, plug it into a PC and copy the files across? I don't give a monkeys about guarantees etc.

I think I will post this question on it's own.

5. tomleeeee

tomleeeee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having all in one box alows direct digital recordings digitally transferred to DVDs! Instead of having to send the video down a scart lead (fine unless you're an absolute digital freak!) Panasonic will be bringing out new dvd recorders with the digital freeview tuner later on in the year, but shhh! I don't know anything else!

6. hermanmunster

hermanmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Why not go for a media centre PC? You can have twin tuners (digital if you like), a huge HDD and a DVD re writer. I built one myself for under £500. Does everything a PVR can do and more. Easy transfer of recorded video to DVD disk too. I connect it directly to my Panny plasma for terrific results. Extra bonus is it's also a PC connected to broadband.

7. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    do they do a DVB PVR that records to disc as well as the hard drive i know Win TV do one but it only records to the hard drive if so can you burn it to DVD disc afterwards.
    also need it to be USB to plug into my laptop the win TV is USB-2

8. mcompton69

mcompton69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a Hauppauge DEC-2000t which is their flagship USB 1.1 DVB-T PVR but the software it comes with is crap and very buggy. Apparently Hauppauge do not make any of their own stuff they just rebadge stuff by another company (can't remember the name of hand).

Important nnote - the reason it is just a USB 1.1 device is that the DVB broadcasts are transmitted in MPEG 2 VBR 25fps so it does not need a high bandwidth to stream this direct to the PC without doing any processing. The Win TV, which is cheaper, digitises the analogue signals and therefore needs the extra bandwidth of USB 2.

The old PCI Win TV card I had was functional but the quality was ****e, the DEC-2000t is superb near DVD quality.

Take your pick.

9. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Do you record to HDD then transfer the recorded programes to DVD disks or do you recored in real time to DVD

10. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There reason i am asking is what i want to do is recored programes off digital TV to my laptop or main comp onto DVD discs, either RW or R can you do this with the DEC-2000t in real time or do you have to transfer it from the HDD using somthing like Nero

11. mcompton69

mcompton69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am not 100% certain that the transmissions are in perfect DVD compatible format, they may still need re-coding for some fussy DVD players. They THEN need to be authored into .VOB files and a menu creating if necessary, this takes some time.

In any case the MPEG files must be AUTHORED before they can be burnt so NO you cannot record straight to DVD with any of the Hauppauge products, and to the best of my knowledge, same goes for anyother PC based PVR system.

Does anyone know different?

12. speculatrix

speculatrix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    the broadcasts are in mpeg2 streams, but the format is different to that used on DVD

the good news is that it's possible to reformat the data adding the appropriate flags rather than decode and recode it, so that what you see on the DVD is exactly what you saw when you first recorded it; likewise the sound be also be done without further loss

13. mcompton69

mcompton69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for clarifying that - here are the specs for the DVB-T format transmission settings (at least they are for one stream i recorded):

704 x 576
    720 x 576

AR 4:3 or 16:9

VIDEO - MPEG:
    Video type: MPEG-2 Video, Upper field first
    Attributes: 24 bits, 704 x 576
    Frame rate: 25.000 Frames/Sec
    Data rate: Variable bit rate (Max 4000 kbs)

AUDIO:
    Audio type: MPEG Audio Layer 2 Files
    Attributes: 48000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo
    Layer: 2
    Bit rate: 192 kbps