does my xbox 360 need a stronger wifi signal to connect to the internet

PoolLee

Standard Member
Reaction score
New to this lark so pls bare with me.

Just bought a new xbox 360 and struggled like mad to get it connected to my Sky router. After several pointless telephone calls to Sky i had to connect it up through a ethernet cable as it wouldnt connect wirelessly. I've tested all my other tech (ipad, laptop, blackberry, ipod etc) wirelessly to the router at the same place the xbox is sat but the xbox still wont connect. Does the xbox require a stronger wifi signal as i'm thinking it shouldnt? and if i'm right what else can i try?

cheers

How far apart is the router from the Xbox and what kind of structures are inbetween - eg is it a normal house or a lead lined bunker!?

My router is upstairs and my Xbox works fineon wireless - online gaming etc with no problems.

I have the same problem. My router is downstairs but my xbox and ps3 are upstairs it is an old house so I assume thats the problem. Whats annoying though is the ps3 sat beside it never has a single problem. Dont know if the ps3 has a better built in wifi adapter or what. Keep considering homeplugs to sort it out

Just for a test have you tried moving the xbox to sit right next to the router to actually see if there is a problem with the xbox?

Just for a test have you tried moving the xbox to sit right next to the router to actually see if there is a problem with the xbox?
This is a good idea.
Can you even see your wireless network in the xbox network connections area?

Tried it right next to the router and it works fine but move the xbox back from the hall to the living room and it won't...argh! It's says there is a 3 out 4 bars signal but still won't connect. The house was built in the early 80 so plaster walls.

If you have a spare plug socket near your router and one near your xbox have a look at home plugs that use the electric wiring to make a hard wired connection between xbox and router.

Are there any other wireless networks that you can see? They may be on the same channel a you so it might be worth trying a different channel to see if that makes any difference.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom