Does my VCR act as an RGB to S-Video converter?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by DaveP, Mar 26, 2002.

Tags:
  1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a JVC S-VHS ET Video Recorder with a Sky Digibox plugged into AV2 Scart, the TV output Scart goes into my Panasonic DVD Recorder. I have the Sky box set to RGB output. Will the output from the VCR be S-Video, Composite or RGB?

If it's Composite or RGB, would I get a better quality picture if I bought an external RGB/S-Video converter and put that between the sky box and the VCR? (the panny doesn't accept RGB input)

DaveP

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    The VCR will not be doing transcoding of RGB to S-video. It will probably only be outputting composite on its scart but you can check in the manual. It should say.

Even although your SKY box is outputting RGB on its scart it is likely that only the composite video signal is going to your DVD recorder.

If your recorder has s-video input then sending s-video through your av/amp and getting an RGB to s-video convertor and sending S from sky through amp as well; will give you best solution for picture and ease of use I'd think. Does this make sense?

Gordon

3. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all the video won't convert RGB to s-video. The video, at best, may pass through the RGB signal when not doing anything else. The video may convert the composite (because that tends to still be "live" even if you specify RGB output on a lot of A/V products) to s-video by splitting it. My JVC 7600 (I think that's the model) s-vhs video does this, but it is just an s-video version of the original composite so hardly adds anything to the quality.

If the Panasonic won't take RGB you need to get a fairly clean s-video feed from the Sky box either by buying something to convert RGB or getting a digibox (such as Sky+) with an s-video output.

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Mart.s

smack on but please don't tell all those SVideo owner that still insist that they are getting a much better signal out there despite the fact that it is tranmitted in composite.:D

Nice to see common sense and accurate answer on SVideo quality.

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    If I was to buy a DVD Recorder I would expect it to record in RGB via the SCART, there is no reason why the manufacturers can't implement this.

You wouldn't expect an SVHS VCR to have composite inputs only so why no RGB in on DVD Recorders.

a DVD Recorder which IMP are vastly over-priced and under-speced.