Does my receiver also passthrough DTS-HD & Dolby True HD?

Does my receiver also passthrough DTS-HD & Dolby True HD?

lg bh6720s

It says it does Dolby Digital & DTS over Optical Input & Over DLNA & USB.

However I have some movies that are Dolby Digital 5.1 Atmos & Dolby True HD & DTS-HD Audio.

Will I still get the full fidelity & audio perfection of the higher end digital audio?

Thanks

What does this below mean exactly? It can only Bit Stream over HDMI only? Why have a digital optical input then? I don't get it.

[Bit Stream] (HDMI only) Select if you connect this unit’s HDMI OUT jack to a device with LPCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS and DTS-HD decoder.

Attachments

• USA_BH6720S_ENG.pdf
    7.2 MB · Views: 66
  • LG BH6720S - DLNA, USB, DISC - AUDIO PASSTHROUGH.jpg
    LG BH6720S - DLNA, USB, DISC - AUDIO PASSTHROUGH.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 41
  • Audio Menu DIgital Output.jpg
    Audio Menu DIgital Output.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Not entirely sure what your question is, but your player will output Dolby True HD and DTS MA from suitably encoded Blu ray discs. I assume this is a an "all in one" HT system you have ? It's not entirely clear.

gibbsy

Your LG will decode all HD audio formats with the exception of Atmos or DTS:X via HDMI. Digital optical will only handle SD audio to a maximum of 5.1. If you have a TV or blu ray player connected to it then both have to output Bistream, on the TV that may be marked as Dolby.

Okay so I only have the LG BH6720S & a Emerson 22" HDTV that only can handle Stereo Dolby Digital. Basically my question is what exactly happens to the audio if I still listen to Movies with Dolby True HD or DTS-HD audio when my digital optical only handles Dolby Digital 5.1 & DTS 5.1? Does it just transfer @ PCM 5.1 instead?

It's kind of hard for me to explain but I hope I did my best.

Can I still listen to Dolby True HD & DTS-HD in all its glory by watching the BluRay straight up over Disc? I have my HDMI cable going to my HDTV, but it does VIDEO only not AUDIO.

All the sound comes out of the LG BH6720S Home Theater 3D BluRay Receiver.

PS - There's a "Bypass Mode" on the receiver that outputs the way track the way it was recorded ie "Dolby True HD or DTS-HD". Will "Bypass Mode" just convert these tracks into PCM if I'm listening over the Digital Optical Input from my Computers Sound Card that supports Dolby Digital 5.1 & DTS 5.1?

Thanks

On the computer, which Bitstreams are possible with Digital Optical? Is Dolby Digital Plus possible, its only 768kbps 6 channel audio?

Attachments

• Audio Properties.jpg
    Audio Properties.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Okay so I only have the LG BH6720S & a Emerson 22" HDTV that only can handle Stereo Dolby Digital. Basically my question is what exactly happens to the audio if I still listen to Movies with Dolby True HD or DTS-HD audio when my digital optical only handles Dolby Digital 5.1 & DTS 5.1? Does it just transfer @ PCM 5.1 instead?

It's kind of hard for me to explain but I hope I did my best.

Can I still listen to Dolby True HD & DTS-HD in all its glory by watching the BluRay straight up over Disc? I have my HDMI cable going to my HDTV, but it does VIDEO only not AUDIO.

All the sound comes out of the LG BH6720S Home Theater 3D BluRay Receiver.

PS - There's a "Bypass Mode" on the receiver that outputs the way track the way it was recorded ie "Dolby True HD or DTS-HD". Will "Bypass Mode" just convert these tracks into PCM if I'm listening over the Digital Optical Input from my Computers Sound Card that supports Dolby Digital 5.1 & DTS 5.1?

Thanks
If you have your BD player connected to the receiver via HDMI, then you will get Dolby True HD and DTS MA audio. If you have your BD connected to your receiver via optical cable, then you will only get lossy Dolby/ DTS 5.1.

What if the LG BH6720S is a BluRay player & receiver at the same time? If I play a Disc will I get Dolby True HD & DTS-HD Master Audio?

Also when you say Lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 & DTS 5.1 over Digital Optical, what happens when I watch say a Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby Atmos .mkv movie file on the computer? Will I still get the full effect of the HD audio or will it Bitstream as PCM 5.1 or will it be converted to Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1?

What if the LG BH6720S is a BluRay player & receiver at the same time? If I play a Disc will I get Dolby True HD & DTS-HD Master Audio?

Also when you say Lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 & DTS 5.1 over Digital Optical, what happens when I watch say a Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby Atmos .mkv movie file on the computer? Will I still get the full effect of the HD audio or will it Bitstream as PCM 5.1 or will it be converted to Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1?
That is why I was trying to get to the bottom of what type of kit you have. If it's an all in one HT system, then yes it will give you True HD & MA from Blu ray.

As for computer files, how is the computer connected to the LG?

Thank you for all you help buddy. Through a Cmedia CM6206-LX USB Surround Sound Digital Optical Sound Card which supports bitstream Dolby Digital 5.1 & DTS 5.1 & PCM 5.1 I think also... How will it decode AAC 6 Channel Audio & HD Audio? Will I still get sound, just at reduced bitrate / hopefully not fidelity as well but I'm guessing that's the case as well. Thanks Again!

I'm reading the Cmedia CM6206-LX USB Surround Sound Datasheet & it says nothing about DTS, yet on the Amazon page it says it supports DTS & AC3 Dolby Digital 5.1.

Amazon product

Attachments

• CM6206_datasheet_1.7.pdf
    529.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Thank you for all you help buddy. Through a Cmedia CM6206-LX USB Surround Sound Digital Optical Sound Card which supports bitstream Dolby Digital 5.1 & DTS 5.1 & PCM 5.1 I think also... How will it decode AAC 6 Channel Audio & HD Audio? Will I still get sound, just at reduced bitrate / hopefully not fidelity as well but I'm guessing that's the case as well. Thanks Again!

I'm reading the Cmedia CM6206-LX USB Surround Sound Datasheet & it says nothing about DTS, yet on the Amazon page it says it supports DTS & AC3 Dolby Digital 5.1.

Amazon product
If it's going via optical, then regardless of the file type you are only going to get lossy 5.1, the connection does not have the bandwidth for lossless codecs. If you are playing 6.1 files or more, then the receiver should just downmix it to 5.1.

gibbsy

Okay cool thank you so much. As long as I get pretty nice quality surround sound, I'll be happy.

Thanks again
You'll get good sound from any blu ray disc that is played. How good the sound from your computer is will be down to the quality of the sound card. It will though be Dolby Digital SD as a maximum.

Darbo

Optical used to be that best way to go once upon a time, but things move on.
There's nothing wrong with dolby/dts 5.1, you'll still get plenty of bass and surround channel action, it just won't be the best quality on offer these days, you'll need hdmi for that, there's plenty to love in the old surround formats though.

Thanks bro. I was hoping the Cmedia would support DTS also but apparently not.

What will happen when I try to watch a movie with DTS audio on my computer if it doesn't bitstream DTS? Will it be converted to Lossy 5.1 instead?

Well I finally got the receiver in because I just ordered it. I also got the USB Sound Card in. For some reason it's only outputting Dolby Digital 2.1 & DTS 2.1, not 5.1? It's only working over 2-channel mode over Digital Optical.

I setup my Digital Output to Bitstream & I tested all 5.1 channels in the Setup & they work fine. I don't know everything on the player itself over USB or Digital Optical is playing back in 2.1?

Attachments

• Digital Output Properties.jpg
    Digital Output Properties.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20210412_152052[1].jpg
    IMG_20210412_152052[1].jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

gibbsy

Well I finally got the receiver in because I just ordered it. I also got the USB Sound Card in. For some reason it's only outputting Dolby Digital 2.1 & DTS 2.1, not 5.1? It's only working over 2-channel mode over Digital Optical.

I setup my Digital Output to Bitstream & I tested all 5.1 channels in the Setup & they work fine. I don't know everything on the player itself over USB or Digital Optical is playing back in 2.1?
Your second photograph shows 3/2.1 that is correct as it shows 5.1, just a different way of describing it. 3 front/2 surround.LFE.

Okay cool bro! Because after further investigation the surround sound is working & sounding pretty nice. Still waiting on my subwoofer though.

Update : When I playback AAC 5.1 over Digital Optical, the receiver says PCM 2/0.0. It only playing back in Stereo with AAC 5.1. Why?

dante01

Distinguished Member
AAC is ordinarilly a 2 channel format. Your AV receiver has no ability to decpde multichannel AAC encoded audio and the only real service to use it would be Freeview. Freeview STBs decode the multichannel AAC when or if present and output them as 6.1 Dolby Digital to ensure compatability with audio devices and AV receivers.

Where are you sourceing the AAC 5.1 audio files?

5.1 AAC isn't commonly used as a commercial means by which to convey multichannel video soundtracks. It would more commonly be encoded as AC3, otherwise lnown as Dolby Digital. No AV receiver has any ability to decode multichannel AAC encoded audio.

I downloaded them online. I tested it directly via USB & Its working in Surround Sound 5.1. So is there something limiting me with the Cmedia CM6206-LX USB sound card?

Attachments

• IMG_20210412_165556[1].jpg
    IMG_20210412_165556[1].jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 35

dante01

Distinguished Member
Your AV receiver cannot decode multichannel AAC. If yiou are getting surround then you are applying upmixing to the audio.

Plus the fact that no multichannel audio can be accessed via any AV receivers USB input. THe USB input is restricted to 2 channel stereo and neither can an AV receiver play viseo files.

If refering to the files being played back via an external device then the device in question may include the ability to play multichannel AAC? THe audio may be being converted or decoded by this device prior to then outputting it to your AV receiver? THis forum deals wirth AV receivers, not soundcards.

You do npot give enough specific detailfor me to determine what is actually happening.

Now I have a new problem with DTS on the computer. It appears I'm only getting sound from the Front Left, Center, Front Right on DTS 5.1 movies, not the rears because the rears are not working or are really quiet compared the Front Left, Center, Front Right, even after turning their level up all the way. Dolby Digital AC3 5.1 & E-AC3 works in true 5.1 though and the rears are loud.

If I watch the movie directly over USB it has loud rear speakers in DTS. So I guess its the Cmedia CM6206-LX, which is causing the problem.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards