• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Does my Panasonic TH42PV500E upcale ??

mohit_ranjan

Standard Member
Hi, I have a Panasonic TH42PV500E and am considering buying a DVD player that upscales to 1080i. But I am not sure if my TV already gives me upscaled images... If so, I'll save myself a 100 quid!

Anyone knows? Thanks!

pwood

I have a 42"PV500 and a Sony NS92V HDMI player. My Set looks best most of the time fed 576p. Some poor transfers DVDS can look smother on 1080i but loose sharpness.

I would say that the de interlacing is notably better using the Sony so dont discount the benefits of that. I would reckon you need looking at, at least a Denon 1930 or more like high end players to note major improvements from upscaling ( I have no experiance of this)

You dont say what machine you currently have but to sum up there are benefits to be had from upgrading your DVD player but upscaling into a PV500 is not something to bother with at £100 price point as the set scales the picture better than most if not all players in that price range.

FYI all LCD/Plasma/DLP screens scale the incoming image to fit the screen. Use the search function on the forum to read up on if you want more in depth info.

mohit_ranjan

Standard Member
Thanks pwood. So am I right in understanding that the pv500 displays 1080i imges anyways and that one would notice a difference only when the dvd player does a better job of upscaling than the tv?

I was looking at the Samsung HD860 and the Denon 1730. Any idea whether the deinterlacing and scaling in the pv500 is better than these dvd players?

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
It always displays 1024x768p images as that's the res of the panel. If you give it 576i (normal DVD) then it will deinterlace it to 576p then scale it up to 1024x768.

If you give it 1080i I believe it will effectively deinterlace it to 540p then scale it up to 1024x768.*

So you're probably better off NOT giving it upscaled 1080i from DVD. 720p would suit it better but then the DVD player would still need to be better at it than the TV.

* I'm pretty sure the pv500 (and px60) does that and doesn't have any advanced deinterlacing for 1080i signals.

mohit_ranjan

Standard Member
It always displays 1024x768p images as that's the res of the panel. If you give it 576i (normal DVD) then it will deinterlace it to 576p then scale it up to 1024x768.

If you give it 1080i I believe it will effectively deinterlace it to 540p then scale it up to 1024x768.*

So you're probably better off NOT giving it upscaled 1080i from DVD. 720p would suit it better but then the DVD player would still need to be better at it than the TV.

* I'm pretty sure the pv500 (and px60) does that and doesn't have any advanced deinterlacing for 1080i signals.

Amazed to know that the pv500 downconverts a 1080i image first! So I guess there is no point in buying a dvd player that upscales to 1080i in that case ?:confused:

k_jartti

I have Panasonic TH42-PV60EH and Denon 1920. I've tested much this set and in my opinion, I get best picture when using component interlaced. Component progressive and HDMI 576p gives a little noise to the blacks, 720p and 1080i are good but not as good as 576i. Deinterlacer in Denon is bad, that's the main reason why I use component interlaced.

mohit_ranjan

Standard Member
I have Panasonic TH42-PV60EH and Denon 1920. I've tested much this set and in my opinion, I get best picture when using component interlaced. Component progressive and HDMI 576p gives a little noise to the blacks, 720p and 1080i are good but not as good as 576i. Deinterlacer in Denon is bad, that's the main reason why I use component interlaced.

Can't you use the HDMI cable to send 576i signal - that should improve the quality further?

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
Amazed to know that the pv500 downconverts a 1080i image first! So I guess there is no point in buying a dvd player that upscales to 1080i in that case ?:confused:

Not much. Although one that upscales to 1080i will also upscale to 720p and like I say, if you can get one which does a good job of that, it's worth it.

stu D

I am in a similar position. I have a 37PV500 and a Sony DVP NS955 which is hooked up with QED component cables. The Sony player puts out 576p and I am very pleased with the results.

However, having read some recent reviews of the Denon 1930 I was thinking about upgrading my player, as the Denon upscales to 720p & 1080p (I am conscious that the Panny panel only has 720 lines, so really 1080p is wasted).

So basically I was wondering weather there would be a noticeable difference between my current 576p and the potential 720p from the Denon, plus baring in mind the Denon would be wired up by way of HDMI instead of component - (I presume this is better?).

Or does the Panny TV already upscale my 576p to 720p itself??

I dont want to fork out £200 for the Denon and £60 for a HDMI for an extra 144 lines of picture if its not going to be noticeable.

Propably hold out for the PS3 and give Blu Rau a go. What do you think guys?

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom