Question Does my new 2016 passive 3d LG tv suffer from abnormal crosstalk/ghosting ?

GenericPowerrrr

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello. I just bought a LG UH950V because I really want a 4k 3d tv while they are available, and the OLED tv's are out of my pricerange. Watching warcraft yesterday however, there was occasional scenes where me and the wife both had difficulties with what appeared to be ghosting in some scenes. It wasn't all the time so i wasn't sure. The text was pretty unreadable but most of the movie was alright. When the 3d worked it looked absolutely incredible compared to my 1080p tv which also features passive 3d. It was pretty much a whole new experience, So I'm hoping I'll get to keep having this experience.

Today I tried running a crosstalk test via my ps4 on the built in youtube app, and while I can't be certain as I lack expertice, It would seem to me that the tv has issues ?

So my question is multifold.

1. Does my TV has crosstalk/ghostng issues
2. Is it severe ?
3. Can i alliviate this issues or
4. Should I take the tv back and replace it for a similar model or
5. Should I take the tv back and replace it for a different model ?

It seems to be what's the best out there in my price range, but I'll take any advice I can get.

Thanks In advance.

Pictures follow taken with phone through 1 side on 3d glasses:
20107201_10212403943788169_197456085_o.png
20132525_10212403912707392_1898082002_o.png
20106901_10212403901067101_1846125815_o.png
20132802_10212403908787294_415788461_o.png

You can adjust the 3D setting in the menu. I can't tell you exactly where the adjustments are at the moment because I'm at work.

I have a UH850V, the first passive 3D set I've ever owned, and one thing I have noticed is the height you view the picture from plays a part in the amount of crosstalk you get. Your eye level appears to have to be around the same level as the horizontal centre line of the screen. I had to tilt my TV down slightly because of the height it's mounted at and my viewing distance.

1. Assuming that last photo is representative of what you see with your eyes level with the centre of the screen vertically, then yes.
2. Yes, you've got large bright white patches (excessive cross-talk areas) covering ~40% of the screen. A perfect panel will have none, and IMO an acceptable one should only have trace amounts (i.e. a few centimetres) at the edge of the screen, at the very worst.
3. Assuming you are viewing in the ideal position, all you can really do is sit further back, but this may not entirely remove it, and I don't think this is an acceptable solution. TVs with good filter alignment should not have bright white patches at 6ft from the screen, let alone further out, regardless of your viewing distance. Fiddling with the 3D settings will only shift the cross-talk around, you may stumble upon a combination that reduces it overall slightly, but not to any effect that it'd fix the problem. I spent many hours trying on my misaligned 3D sets.
4. Definitely return it for a replacement.

This certainly doesn't look good.

I feel your pain, as I returned no less than four E6 OLED TVs in a row, before opting to keep a G6, and all four of the E6's had a problem with the alignment of the 3D filter, to varying degrees (and a couple of them had other issues as well).

As both Simons have pointed out, you may get better results with a change of viewing position. You need to raise the screen up higher, so your eyes are level with a point in the lower part of the screen, rather than level with the top or centre; and it will probably also look better if you sit further back.

But I'd guess that even if you do change viewing position, you won't be able to get all of the screen exhibiting acceptable cross-talk unless you sit so far away it's no longer enjoyable to watch. I'd be inclined to return it and get another if you can. (And if you do, try and get one that left the factory as recently as possible - certainly with OLED, the more recent panels seemed to be better than the ones that left the factory in mid 2016).

Truthfully the pass through on the first picture looks about right. But what's with the hard edge / gap between filter and edge of the screen at the left edge? E.g. Cuts through the number 50.' That's wrong.

Ignoring the other pictures because you're at an extreme angle that no glasses can hope to work

Thank you all for your posts. I didn't actually think anything was going to happen here since I didn't hear about the thread for a while. I ended up returning, getting a new set with crosstalk and a lot of edgebleed, returning that and getting a set with decent 3d, decent crosstalk, but issues with noise and colour gradients having blocks of colour... It also made a clicking noise for 5 minutes twice when I turned it off.. So that went back too. Now I'm considering importing an e6 since they are out of stock here, but judging from the post above that might be a gamble too? It's too bad sony doesn't make passive 3d screens anymore, the one I have from 13 is a fantastic tv.

@crypticc, the pictures were taken mostly in front of the TV. I guess the angle looks
Weird though. Especially on the cropped one. The thing on 50 is a sticker with the tvs energy rating

Last edited:
Thank you all for your posts. I didn't actually think anything was going to happen here since I didn't hear about the thread for a while. I ended up returning, getting a new set with crosstalk and a lot of edgebleed, returning that and getting a set with decent 3d, decent crosstalk, but issues with noise and colour gradients having blocks of colour... It also made a clicking noise for 5 minutes twice when I turned it off.. So that went back too. Now I'm considering importing an e6 since they are out of stock here, but judging from the post above that might be a gamble too? It's too bad sony doesn't make passive 3d screens anymore, the one I have from 13 is a fantastic tv.

@crypticc, the pictures were taken mostly in front of the TV. I guess the angle looks
Weird though. Especially on the cropped one. The thing on 50 is a sticker with the tvs energy rating
See if you can find a G6 - there might be a few of those still in stock.

Can only find a 65er (55 is max for now, considering where we sit compared to the TV) and that one is way way way out of my price range :p
Oh yes, sorry - the G6 only comes in 65" and 77" sizes.

C6? (That's curved, of course). But that'll probably be out of stock too. :(

Oh yes, sorry - the G6 only comes in 65" and 77" sizes.

C6? (That's curved, of course). But that'll probably be out of stock too. :(
Ah. Then that makes sense. Yeah, the curve is just.. Not for me :p if only the B6 had 3d I would get that. It's cheap and easily available.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom