Does my iPhone SE battery need replacing?

psychopomp1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Every now & again i get the following message on my iPhone SE (running latest iOS) when the battery is close to being depleted completely. In settings>battery>battery health>maximum capacity is 90%

Does that mean the battery should be replaced? I easily get 2+ days out of it with moderate usage.

Cheers

That’s strange, I had an iPhone X that was on 89% and it never gave me that message, and I quite often ran the battery down to 1-5%. I wouldn’t worry about it if the battery is lasting fine.

The message says “has experienced an unexpected shutdown”, does the phone actually switch itself off or restart then?

I know that you shouldn’t have any issues unless the battery capacity gets lower than 80%, if it does it won’t be getting “peak performance” anymore and it could shut down at any time. But yours shouldn’t do that unless it gets to 0%

Thanks. No, the phone never switches off due to any error, I guess that's why 'performance management' kicks in automatically. Is there any way to 'calibrate' the iphone SE battery?
Cheers

Not sure what you mean by calibrate? From what I can see your battery is fine since it’s at 90% capacity, all you need to do is use your phone then charge it normally

Does it do this when the phone is fully charged? I notice that the battery icon in your image is showing red so it's possibly a low charge problem rather than a battery health one.

Does it do this when the phone is fully charged? I notice that the battery icon in your image is showing red so it's possibly a low charge problem rather than a battery health one.
It only does this when the battery charge level turns red (< 20%).

Not sure what you mean by calibrate? From what I can see your battery is fine since it’s at 90% capacity, all you need to do is use your phone then charge it normally
By calibrate I meant perhaps the battery can be reset, in the sense that it correctly displays the correct charge level at all times?

I had the same problem with my iPhone 6 - my battery health was 82%. I got it replaced as a precaution. Your phone will display a critical message when your battery health is significantly degraded so there is no absolute need to get the battery replaced just yet. Although if performance management has been enabled then your phone will be slowed for certain critical processes to reduce the risk of further crashes. If you do decide to get it replaced go to an apple store to get it done, genuine apple batteries do tend to last longer.

Very bizarre. I had an iPhone 8 that would barely get through the day but I never got a single message. If you can get 2 days out of it I definitely wouldn't bother getting it replaced.

Very bizarre. I had an iPhone 8 that would barely get through the day but I never got a single message. If you can get 2 days out of it I definitely wouldn't bother getting it replaced.
I sold my iPhone SE 16gb for £95 to CEX as it was still in pristine condition and upgraded to an iPhone 8 64gb, which i bought for £360 on ebay (brand new & sealed). No issues at all with iphone 8, touch wood! :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom