Does my cpu support vista 64 bit

Johnny D

Novice Member
Hi All,
I'm thinking of upgrading my 2 pcs to vista from xp but am unsure if I need 32 or 64 bit o/s.
My cpus are intel dual core E2180 (2gb ram) and E2200 (4gb ram)
Microsoft seems to say they only support 32 bit as in device manager my cpu is x86 (32 bit) and not x64 which support 64 bit vista o/s. I've looked on the intel web site and they seem to imply that my cpus do support 64 bit vista.
Can anyone shed any light on this please before I spend my cash.
It'll be very much appreciated
Thanks in advance
Johnny D

treacle

Novice Member
Hi All,
I'm thinking of upgrading my 2 pcs to vista from xp but am unsure if I need 32 or 64 bit o/s.
My cpus are intel dual core E2180 (2gb ram) and E2200 (4gb ram)
Microsoft seems to say they only support 32 bit as in device manager my cpu is x86 (32 bit) and not x64 which support 64 bit vista o/s. I've looked on the intel web site and they seem to imply that my cpus do support 64 bit vista.
Can anyone shed any light on this please before I spend my cash.
It'll be very much appreciated
Thanks in advance
Johnny D
You're in an ideal postion, put 32 bit on one and 64 bit on the other, run same applications on both and see which gives the best performance.

Johnny D

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply's guys,
I installed a mates 64 bit on the E2180 for a trial and it does seem to work ok.
This is a what device manager says in properties for the cpu E2200 which I currently run xp home
Device Instance Id "ACPI\GENUINEINTEL_-_X86_FAMILY_6_MODEL_15\_1"
Does the X86 mean I am running 32 bit at pressent do you think
I know the intel site claims they are both 64 bit capable so this is why i'm confused
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Johnny D

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply's guys,
I installed a mates 64 bit on the E2180 for a trial and it does seem to work ok.
This is a what device manager says in properties for the cpu E2200 which I currently run xp home
Device Instance Id "ACPI\GENUINEINTEL_-_X86_FAMILY_6_MODEL_15\_1"
Does the X86 mean I am running 32 bit at pressent do you think
I know the intel site claims they are both 64 bit capable so this is why i'm confused
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Johnny D
Both your chips are capable of running Windows 64-Bit.

As for what device manager says. It's right. The 32 and 64 are both x86. x86 is the architecture. It's branding that has lead you to believe that x86 vs x64. When it should be really referred to as x86-32 and x86-64.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom