1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does JVC HR-S8850EK Have Programmable LCD Remote?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Kevo, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Kevo

Aug 23, 2001
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I'm looking to purchase a nes S-VHS VCR and would prefer one where you can program timer events into the remote and transmit to the VCR (just like the way they were back in the late 80s and early 90s).

I have noticed that to cut costs, manufactures these days have done away with LCD handsets and opted for OSD instead
    (which I hate. I don't want to have to keep turning the TV on just to set the VCR timer !).

I've read reviews and seen pics of the JVC HR-S8850EK and it is the only S-VHS VCR I have seen that looks like it has an LCD remote. The reviews and JVC's web page make no mention of this and I haven't come across one in any of my local shops.

Can anyone who owns this model please enlighten me.

2. mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    The fairly standard JVC s-vhs remote only seems to have two LCD functions; 1) to tell you which piece of equipment you are controlling (it can operate TVs and stuff) and 2) to show the videoplus code you are about to transmit.

The main problem I have encountered is that it is not immediately obvious that the VCR has received an invalid Videoplus code unless, yes you have guessed, you look at the OSD!!! It MAY flash up on the actual VCR but it's not very clear and it's not there long enough (by the time you have looked to make certain you are pressing the "send" button and then look up and focus on the VCR the error message is there for a split second).

The above relates to my two year old 7600 but the remote for the 8850 looks almost identical. The LCD is almost a waste of time.