Does it worth getting a V HD box

gogonel

Standard Member
hello guys! can somebody give me some advice please.
I have a 32" LG LCD TV and I was wondering if I would see any difference between the SD and the HD channels with a V HD box. I spoke to the VM guys today and I'm not sure of what to do.
1 more thing. Do I really have to get the box from them? I was thinking of buying a V+ HD box from ebay cos it's cheaper. Would it work? will I see the HD channels or I have to pay for the activation? I have the L TV package and I don't really want to pay £5 extra per month just to record some programs.
Thanks 4 help.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I have a 32" LG LCD TV and I was wondering if I would see any difference between the SD and the HD channels with a V HD box. I spoke to the VM guys today and I'm not sure of what to do.
1 more thing. Do I really have to get the box from them? I was thinking of buying a V+ HD box from ebay cos it's cheaper. Would it work? will I see the HD channels or I have to pay for the activation? I have the L TV package and I don't really want to pay £5 extra per month just to record some programs.
Thanks 4 help.

The boxes on eBay are illegal and will not function anyway. Each and every box remains the property of Virgin Media and they do not sell the boxes on to their customers. Every box requires a PIN card and every PIN card is specifically registered to the box it is inserted into as well as to the customer's account it is registered to. Boxes do not function without legitimate PIN cards, associated with valid accounts and installed by legiimate VM installers.

If you are already a VM customer then simply ask for an HD box. The non V+ boxes are all HD and are now the standard issue. There should be no additional monthly charge for the basic HD box as long as you subscribe to the M+or above TV package and pay a one off £49 installation fee.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/digital-tv/set-top-boxes.html

Last edited:

jb66

I dont think its worth it as you wont get that many HD channels on the L package and a 32" has a good picture anyway due to the size.

emcor99

32" has a good picture anyway due to the size.

Thats a wide and sweeping statement, so all 32" tv's have a good picture due to size:confused:

To the OP i dont know about the VHD box, but the V+HD box has excellent upscaling this for me makes it a must have :smashin:

mike7

Distinguished Member
I have a 32" screen and a V+ box. When a HD channel is showing a really good picture the improvement over SD is very noticable. The trouble is some HD quality is variable quality. My advice would be to get a V+ box for the benefits of upscaling,preferably a SA one, and true HD channels will be a bonus. You also have the programme variations on the original BBC HD channel.

gogonel

Standard Member
if I get a V+ HD box I would have to pay £5/month and I don't want that. At the moment I can't afford to get the XL package, but thanks for your replies.

Arfa

If you are already a VM customer then simply ask for an HD box. The non V+ boxes are all HD and are now the standard issue. There should be no additional monthly charge for the basic HD box as long as you subscribe to the M+or above TV package and pay a one off £49 installation fee.

Set Top Box | V HD & V+ HD Set Top Boxes - Virgin Media Shop

We managed to stay on M (not M+) and got the basic HD box for just the installation charge - no increase in monthly fee. There's a couple of HD channel we miss, not having M+ (film 4 I recall, maybe others). Go through the 'change of service' online form thingy, the HD box is a separate tick box to the M+ option.

Either way, its worth it, you get a handful of basic HD channels which look good and definitely look a step up from SD stuff. You also get iPlayer HD too, which although overly compressed still look reasonable. Also audio quality is much better on the HD channels, less dynamically compressed (hence why it appears quieter at first) and in some instances in surround.
I'm just using an old 32" 720p Bravia TV.

Last edited:

Pyrofer

Now BBC1 is HD, and ITV, C4 etc you get most of the brittish content in HD.
If you have an HD TV, a bit silly not to if you ask me.
Mind you, the V+ features are great so you should consider that too!

telscan

Standard Member

FWIW - When I upgraded to the V+ box I noticed a huge improvement in SD quality as well. The newer boxes do a much better job upscaling SD pictures for big screen tellies than the old ones.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The newer boxes do a much better job upscaling SD pictures for big screen tellies than the old ones.

Do they. Are you sure about this? The SA V+ box is just as capable as either the Samsung V+ or the Cisco HD box when it comes to upscaling. Some say that the SA box is also better than the Samsung box in this respect.

Holwill

I have had both SA and Sammy boxes, no noticeable difference to my eyes in up-scaling and Sammy is noisier to my ears.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom