1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it wear out a widescreen TV using it in 4:3 mode?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by pixel, Apr 23, 2003.

1. pixel

pixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you tell me if always using a CRT widescreen TV in 4:3 mode most of the time will eventually over time mean the phosphorous layer or what ever it is will be wear more in the 4:3 area than the rest of the screen and will it mean it will show when in widescreen mode...as in the picture will look maybe brighter in the none 4:3 area?

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It can do yes if you REALLY leave it in 4:3 A LOT! But it's not nearly as much of a problem as on-screen logos. Depends on the TV as well, e.g. some CRT models randomise the position of the 4:3 image a little bit each time you switch the set on, so it's not always in the same place. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keep the contrast and brightness at a reasonable level and change channels two or three times a day and all will be well.

You can't wear out the black bit as it's not displaying any signal.

Why are you watching 4.3 pictures on a WS set anyway?

If you don't have a proper digital WS source, use the zoom or whatever it's called to fill the screen...

Keep the picture moving and there will be no problem.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    If you have a WS set, and happen to be watching a 4x3 source.......

And, as for 'zoom', 'smart' (etc) modes - they all distort the image which is a Bad Thing. The only correct way to watch a 4x3 image is, er..... in 4x3.

5. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    I'm the same, I can only watch a 4:3 broadcast in 4:3 mode. Using Zoom modes makes me feel like I'm missing something.... :D

6. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    pixel

I think there has to be movement on the screen like a computer screen saver for you not to have some damage, but it probably would take years of viewing before any damage to occur I would think.

on my set (jvc) there is 16.9 zoom and 16.9 subtittles which I use to fill the screen sometimes on dvds only. There is also full which fills all the screen but this is only for dvd as normal channels peoples faces look strange (like stretched). there is also regular which is the 4.3 but I dont think it is good for the tv long term and also makes the picture look small. I opt for the panoramic which stretches the 4.3 to fill a widescreen. and this is done well by this tv. this is also good for dvds.

so you should have something on your set which stretches the 4.3 to full widescreen without that stretched look that I cannot stand. Just check out your manual.

7. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    On one of my zoom moes it strechs the sides of the 4:3 area to fill a 16x9 set, however this results in the people standing at the edge of the frame to look rather fat.

8. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The other problem using the zoom mode to fill out the screen with a 4/3 broadcast is that if it's film that's been cropped to 4/3, then zooming it out will lose the top and bottom in addition the to already lost / cropped left and right of the image.

I suppose if you use 4/3 nearly all the time, then you could indeed burn in a line on the left and right where the black lines appear. As mentioned, I'd lower the contrast so to not overrun the tube... this will help reduce phospor burn.

Personally, I'd use zoom or smart mode periodically just to give the extra portions of the tube some use so the whole of the tube wears more evenly.... or get a digital source that provides 16/9 source! (Best idea IMO)

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    .. should've bought a 4:3 display :D