1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it really matter

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Faust, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    My neighbour who is not very tech minded has just purchased a Home Cinema System, and asked me if I would pop round to his house today to check that he had set everything up right before he turned it on. Although he had made quite a tidy job of everything, it transpired that he had connected the front and rear left speakers to the right hand channel and vice versa. We soon switched them round the correct way and everything worked fine. However, this got me thinking, does it really matter or make that much difference if all the lefts are connected to the right hand channel and vice versa, how is the listener to know or tell if a particular sound was intended come from one particular channel or the other?

2. AgeOwns

AgeOwns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I guess an explosion that happens to the left of the screen, will come from the right hand side of the room... Obvious really... or have i totally not understood what you are saying?

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,265
    I think you've understood perfectly. If Faust wants action panning from left to right on screen to audibly pan right to left then that's up to him. To me it's fairly obvious where certain effects you come from and if they sounded like they were coming from somewhere other than I was expecting then I can imagine it being very confusing to watch.

4. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    Well I suppose that's my point really, perhaps it's because I have my front speakers sat on the floor at either side of the t.v. with the centre sat on top of the t.v instead of the fronts on raised stands. Or that when I watch a film, that is what I do, watch the film and don't concentrate on the sound source, but to be honest I haven't really thought about where the sound is coming from when watching a film. Yes I like my Panasonic SA-XR30 5.1 system, but if you were to ask me if the sound effect was panning left to right or vice versa, then I wouldn't have the foggiest idea, to me it's just an enhanced sound system.

5. chrisp1

chrisp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah - I think its really obvious when you make the wrong connections. I've done this myself and instantly noticed how wrong it sounds. Not wrong in a small way either - its a really in-your-face problem.

One other point - make sure you connect positive (red) on your amp to positive your speaker - and negative (black) to negative. It didn't cause a short or anything, but I recently mixed up my cables and I ended up with an 'out of phase' connection (I believe thats the correct term). The results were truly hideous, sound wise :thumbsdow .

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,164
    You would not notice it if the source was only Pro Logic (stuff of the TV) as the same signal is feed to both the rear speakers. Not unles he was using Pro II.

7. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    Perhaps that is my problem, I rarely watch commercial DVDs, the vast majority of material I watch are t.v. broadcasts. The reason for this is that it's rare for me to enjoy anything the film industry creates these days, well not enough for me to shell out money on a DVD for anyway. Having said that I do select the PLII button as a matter of course for t.v. broadcasts. Would lifting the front speakers from ground level placing them on stands make much difference to the way one hears the audio? Has anyone experience of front speaker stands as opposed to simply placing the fronts on the ground on either side of the t.v.?

8. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    I really would appreciate some feedback on the above. Surely someone must use stands for their front speakers, or are the AV amps section simply getting lazy in their posting habits?

:lease:

9. lostprophet

lostprophet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'd say its always worth having the speakers on stands, its advised that the tweeters are positioned at about ear height and a good solid stand means the speaker can focus all its energy on moving the drivers rather than wasting it moving the whole speaker around, however small the movement is, it will degrade the sound quality.

10. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    My fronts are floorstanders (Tannoy Revolutions), however i made some stands from hardwood and set my rears up on them.