• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

Does it matter where one lives re provider.

bogart99

Noticed last couple of days internet speed dropped. Is pretty poor at best, maxing at 3.5Mbps. Now going on speedtest it tried to run its tests via provider in Leicester some 100 miles away and I got a download of 1.7mbps. Tried a few times and got similar results. So changed provider to one speedtest often uses which is 10 miles away and get a result of 3mbps. So my question is why does speedtest think I am in Leicester? And could this have an effect on my general speed on my day to day internet usage? Funnily enough this morning Toolstation thought I was in Lincoln.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
What do the sites such as BT suggest you will get? If you put your phone number in on their sales site it will give you an estimate of what you will achieve.

Ignore where it thinks you are, those ads that pop up on some sites are never accurate.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
You don't say which speed test it was, but some of them will run the speed test on the server that has the quickest response (lowest ping time).

bogart99

What do the sites such as BT suggest you will get? If you put your phone number in on their sales site it will give you an estimate of what you will achieve.

Ignore where it thinks you are, those ads that pop up on some sites are never accurate.
Am not complaining about the 3.5Mbps that is not going to change anytime soon. By the way BT quotes 1-3 Mbps.

bogart99

You don't say which speed test it was, but some of them will run the speed test on the server that has the quickest response (lowest ping time).
It seems obsessed with thinking I am in Leicester, but am actually in Norwich. Iomart in Leicester gives a ping around 33ms and currently a download of around 3Mbps.
I have tried two others much nearer one with ping of 28ms but only get a download average of 0.67Mbps and another with a ping of around 30ms giving a download of on average 0.93Mbps. Trying my local servers give a ping of 41ms and a download speed of 1.1Mbps. The upload speed is nearly identical on any server.
Am not sure why a lower ping results in a lower download speed.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom