does it make a difference?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by thetramp, Sep 29, 2004.

1. thetramp

thetramp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently I bought myself an Optoma H30 PJ... and I'm still using a 4-5 year old Pioneer DV-525 which was about 250-300 euro back then..

Currently I still use composite.. and I notice a slight different when using s-video....

Now I was wondering if I would gain some noticable picture quality gain when buying a new progressive dvd player.. budget would around 300 euro...

Or would the gain in quality be less than switching from composite to s-video...?

thanks for any reply..

2. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think a 150EUR progressive scan player (e.g. pio DV470) with good component cable (100EUR) will make a world of difference in your case. The actual improvement will depend on how good your PJ is but it will definitely be noticeable. Upping the quality of the DVD player from that point will bring much less noticeable gains in picture quality. It's mainly the build quality and the music capabilities that get better with price. Say 1000EUR player (denon2900) will only give a small improvement in PQ from the likes of pio470 again subject to you PJ quality, but you'll be able to put it into your signature for this forum and everyone who never had one will envy you.

3. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I'd say that the better the quality the projector and the bigger the screen the more those little details become important.

4. thetramp

thetramp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's what I wanted to know in the first place you know...

Is the PJ good enough to show what a better DVD-PLAYER does?

btw the PJ has a good scaler/de-interlacer itself.. Pixelworks...

and I know with what you mean with equipment costing fortunes... most of the time you can spend 20%-30% of that money and achieve an almost equal result... but hey.. if someone has the money to buy the most expensive car there is.. most likely they will if they want to show off... ;) same with hifi and everything else...

5. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I have an 'old' 717 pioneer,600 quid player back in the day!

Saturday,curiosity got the better of me,so decided to do a comparison of my panny s75 which I currently run to my Sim2.

The comparison i did on my panny 6 plasma and I (and the missus)was gobsmacked.
    The difference was outstanding with the s75 ,which I got from the classified section here for 50 notes!Absolutely blowing my pioneer away!
    Both were tested using scart only,just ordered me component board.
    For information the s75 only does progressive in NTSC hence my decision to contemplate a pioneer 575.

Only my two pence worth though!

Phil

6. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi

I also have an H30 and use Denon 3800 as my DVD player. I have tried a few other cheaper DVD players at home and the H30 is certainly up to showing the difference.

Good though the pixelworks (manages quite well with Sky+ via S-vid) is the Denon feeding prog scan is very much better, so I would say go for it.

I have seen a Pioneer 575 on the H30 and that was very impressive for the price!

Cheers

7. thetramp

thetramp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @alpha10: what connection would be best for the H30? the VGA-connector? So maybe I should buy a dvd-player with that connection on...? otherwise it's scart->VGA...

what do you use?

8. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    If you can, you need to go prog scan, so component out of the DVD player.

I use a Van Damme cable with the three component connectors on one end and 15-HD (VGA type) on the other end.

I also use an S-vid cable for SKY+

Cheers

9. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    theoretically, HD15 connector or Component+Sync (5connectors) are better than Component w/o sync (3connectors). but I don't know how much of the difference that makes with progressive scan if any. Also, you'll probably be paying through the nose for a DVD player with HD15 out or 5bnc out as they are higher end connectors.

Put it this way, if you are going to go for smth fancy, you shouldn't get it w/o testing. If you are going for a value solution good 100 quid DVD player with PS in PAL and NTSC will be a very worthy upgrade from your current box.

10. thetramp

thetramp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the seller of the H30 told met that progressive wouldn't make that big a difference because of the pixelworks scaler/de-interlacer in the H30.. but I'll try to get my hands on some progressive dvd-player to test.. and then I can decide on my own...

11. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Deman77, the HD15 connector is on the H30, it's how the little thing accepts component/RGB etc, so any cheapish prog scan DVD player, say tosh 340 or the Pio 575, or something of that ilk with the three component outputs would be fine.

Good luck thetramp, let us know how yo get on.

Regardless of the prog scan I think a better DVD player would definitely be worthwhile for you.

Cheers

12. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Got my 575 about 3 week ago and put my trusty old 525 in the other room. The 525 was an exceptional piece of kit for the money back in those days and the 575 is even better value for money today.

Use a good component cable and you wont regret it.

Remember I have not got a PJ just an old plasma.

PS Sky + user ditch the Svideo out and use the RGB scart if you can :lesson:

13. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Sharper,

I use the S-vid to the projector because it allows me to use the RGB through the scart to my CRT, I have this as best quality as it is the main viewing choice for sky.

The S-vid from Sky+ is pretty good on the higher bandwidth CH's

Cheers

14. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    alpha10,

HD15 connection witout horizontal and vertical sync is same as component.
    I was saying that there was a noticeable difference between that and connections with sync. I can see the difference even on panny 42D6, it'll defo be visible on 6ft screen
    what's the cheapest DVD player that gives you component with sync?

15. thetramp

thetramp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will.. someone suggested me the Momitsu V880N... which has a VGA-out... and the H30 has a VGA-in.. maybe this would even be better.. but I'm not really familiar with that make... even not heard of it... Momitsu that is...

16. thetramp

thetramp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DV-525 is indeed some piece of work.. takes everything I 've ever thrown at it... very good built.. not one single issue with this device...

Really the only device I 've ever owned that is pioneer branded... and on the other hand.. I have had more issues with Denon than any other make.. and still people always talk about Denon this or that... I 've bad experience with...

Like my 500 euro MD disc player.. always has some strange thing.. Maybe I just got unlucky ;)