1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it exsist

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by devbias, Nov 17, 2004.

1. devbias

devbias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Ive read many threads and reviews and cant find what im looking for so if anyone could help i would be grateful.
    Im looking for a HDD DVD recorder that has the following functions.
    1) digi camera input
    2) dvd-r/rw
    3) EPG or some kind of tv guide to use for programing the recorder. Something along the lines of sky+

The only ones i can find that fill my wish list are all phillip and therefore DVD+R
    Ive read the new tosh xs-52 is rumoured to have all these functions but does anything already exsist. :lease:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Do you mean Digital Camera (PC/SD Card slots) or Digital Camcorder (iLink/Firewire)? If the former look at the Panasonic E95, Panasonic E500 or Samsung DVDR1000 (or the Panasonic E65/equivalent Samsung). If the latter then loads of models cater for this: Panasonic E95/E500, Pioneer 520/720, Toshiba RDXS32, Sony RX900/1000.

All of the above models bar the Panasonic range support both DVD-R and DVD-RW formats.

Some Philips machines have Guideplus but a lack of bandwidth ('normal' supporters Panasonic & Sony dropped the UK version due to this) means it's not that reliable plus it's future is somewhat suspect. Freeview EPGs will slowly start to appear but it will be next year before anything decent comes along. At the moment then nothing is in sight.

3. devbias

devbias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for replie,
    and yes i did mean a ilink or firewire.
    But i dont understand what you mean by "bandwith"
    I cant understand why sky+ can get the tv guide/record menu together so well and this useful function doesnt seam to be adopted by the majority of the hardware manufactures.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Basically 'bandwidth' is the term used to describe the amount of data that can be sent to update the EPG - another way to describe it is the amount of transmission time given to EPG information. The more data sent the better the EPG can adapt to programmes running late, new programmes starting and scheduling changes. Needless to say an EPG that doesn't keep up is useless.

Naturally bandwidth is expensive: the more air time used the more it costs. This is why the only serious EPGs are the official Sky one and the Freeview one. Other EPGs have to lease transmission time which is why you don't see many. Unfortunately the UK Guideplus is on a tight budget as the only company to adopt it is Philips. Hence no further bandwidth is likely to become available anytime soon. And as Guideplus relies on advertising, and as Philips products have been widely condemned, with the takeup of Guideplus machines having been poor the future looks bleak.

The major players - Toshiba, Sony and Panasonic - are all looking towards both the internet and Freeview for their EPGs for next-generation DVD recorders. I should imagine the other major consumer electrics companies will follow.