Question Does HDR on ps pro and bluray work automatically or not

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by filmofil, Aug 19, 2018.

1. filmofil

filmofil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi
    Day before i buy ps pro and 4k tv so i wonder. What about HDR in ps games. Will my game start as hdr as soon i click play on ps pro if i have hdr 4k tv or should i change settings on tv?

Same goes for bluray 4k movies. Will they automatically start in hdr when i put bluray or downloaded movie or i need to press hdr options each time?

You know, similar to 3d movies, i always needed to press 4d button or settings before. HDR works like that or is it automatic?

2. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,370
    Usually it should work fine, but ultimately depends on the TV. The only issue I am aware of is with regards to Netflix HDR on Xbox and PS4 consoles. Using Netflix's app on most TVs should be fine though.

My old Samsung KS 2016 TV took years to get an update before it could save and manually switch settings between SDR and HDR, when using Game mode.

I had a 2018 Samsung recently too. Despite being returned as faulty, this had a very welcome feature of disabling game mode when playing a Blu-ray on the Xbox.

3. Kratos88

Kratos88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    like wayne said it depends on the tv really. I have to change the HDR manually on my sony because if I let the Tv do it automatically sometimes the hdr doesn’t kick in properly. The samsung on the other hand doesn’t have this issue.

You should be fine though dude. Just make sure that you calibrate the games correctly, some games have there own hdr brightness sliders ect in the options but games like the witcher 3, tom clancys wildlands ect doesn’t have a hdr slider, its all down to gamma/contrast in game settings. Just sussed that out tonight, finally the witcher 3 looks amazing after adjusting the in game gamma settings same with wildlands.

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,156
    HDR should be automatic provided you enable UHD colour or something like that in the menu settings of the TV, different brands call it something else which is of course not helpful. Some TVs will auto bring up a settings screen to enable it on a 4K signal.

The other component is a "Premium High Speed" HDMI cable, one should come in the box with the PS4 Pro, use that as it has the bandwidth necessary for the 4K HDR signal.

The calibration issues (to a degree) are hopefully going to be solved by this, MS and Sony have formed a group to deliver a better HDR experience tailored to the display. However it remains to be seen what TV's get updated to this new tailored HDR game mode. A lot of people will be upset if it's not patched for free into existing models.

5. Kratos88

Kratos88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30